Brushy mountain wood ware

Default Brushy mountain wood ware

I have not needed to buy boxes or lids or bases in years. I had no idea that Brushy Mountain made such high quality wood products until I received some boxes from another provider, as did my son. So who do you rank as the best available source for wood products? The stuff I received can be assembled with large clamps but then the top and bottoms need to be sanded to keep the boxes from rocking. Thanks

To be more specific about boxes, when I order the best quality option I do not expect boards with Any warping. I do expect small things like four smaller nails for the smaller top joints, Predriled nail holes should be centered so you are not likely to crack wood when the holes are on an a
    edge. I Build things from wood, so I recognize poor quality in wood and workmanship. It may be that once Brushy Mountain left, there is nobody out there doing their level of quality? Hope not
    Last edited by Ode1891; 05-23-2020 at 04:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Brushy mountain wood ware

Check Humble Abodes in Maine.

MIller Bee Supply in NC free shipping over $150, they are 15 minutes from Brushy Mt.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper 2nd yr 15 hives
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Why don't you just build your own. I build all of my wooden ware and I am very happy with the quality because I build them right.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmercal View Post
    Why don't you just build your own. I build all of my wooden ware and I am very happy with the quality because I build them right.
    This gets discussed in the hardware area with some frequency. Material cost matters. I have a fully equipped, professional level shop with trade priced suppliers for materials because I'm a business. I cannot buy appropriate material in my area for less than the cost of buying knocked down boxes in cases of five and just assembling them. I do make most of the "accessory woodenware" from scrap material, but the boxes...zero benefit to building my own.
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
    This gets discussed in the hardware area with some frequency. Material cost matters. I have a fully equipped, professional level shop with trade priced suppliers for materials because I'm a business. I cannot buy appropriate material in my area for less than the cost of buying knocked down boxes in cases of five and just assembling them. I do make most of the "accessory woodenware" from scrap material, but the boxes...zero benefit to building my own.
    Been there, tried that, and found the same to be true. But I may do it anyhow as a winter project.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
    To back this up, I am a furniture maker. I have the shop, the tools, and the know how. Limited on time of course, but regardless of that, I can't seem to make hive bodies for less than what I can buy them for. Granted my time probably has a bit higher cost if you factor in the shop and tooling. But even just material costs are higher as I am not doing this in bulk. Doing a setup and running 100 boards is far more efficient than running 2 or 4 as most of the time is in the setup.

I get mine from NH Honeybee, Bee Tree Farm all locally sourced eastern white pine and I have been very impressed with his fit and finish. Nail holes are all pre-drilled and the fingers fit tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus142 View Post
    To back this up, I am a furniture maker. I have the shop, the tools, and the know how. Limited on time of course, but regardless of that, I can't seem to make hive bodies for less than what I can buy them for. Granted my time probably has a bit higher cost if you factor in the shop and tooling. But even just material costs are higher as I am not doing this in bulk. Doing a setup and running 100 boards is far more efficient than running 2 or 4 as most of the time is in the setup.

I get mine from NH Honeybee, Bee Tree Farm all locally sourced eastern white pine and I have been very impressed with his fit and finish. Nail holes are all pre-drilled and the fingers fit tight.
    Thanks!

I can get 1x12 @ $1.40 a foot including tax. Make a deep hive body cost around 8.50 ea. But like everyone else I have plenty of things to get done. Buy commercial grade boxes from Betterbee as their quality is decent when I don't have time to build. I do built all my 4 frame webster/ palmer type nuc supers as the price from all the bee supplies is more than double what there worth. I think there like 14.95 each.... who could make a profit from bees at that price......

https://foresthillbeesupply.com/

Amish supplier from Pennsylvania. He actually answers the phone in person, or will return your call. Top notch quality and prices. Nice guy too.

I'm glad that there are some here who like to work with wood. I don't. Add to it that I have enough already on my plate. The idea that you like to do it and therefore everyone else should is a bit self centered.
    I'll buy and assemble....thanks.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Part making and assembly is the easy part. The part I find tedious is the painting.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    Part making and assembly is the easy part. The part I find tedious is the painting.
    Yes. Time consuming and boring for me. Yet I've met people who love to paint. It takes all sorts.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    I can get 1x12 @ $1.40 a foot including tax.
    You could do better at mills here in Vermont. I get 1x12 unit...1500-2000' for about $.75/ft

You could do better at mills here in Vermont. I get 1x12 unit...1500-2000' for about $.75/ft
    Mike, Is that planed lumber or rough cut?

Kiln dried, planed 4 sides. I've paid $0.65-0.85

Triad Bee Supply in NC. Most of the wood products are cypress and well made. Been using them now for about 5 years and stuff is very nice.

https://triadbeesupply.com/product-category/woodware/