Beekeeping Suit and Veil

Default Beekeeping Suit and Veil

I'm currently using a borrowed bee jacket with a round veil, but will need to give it back to it's rightful owner as soon as one of us catches a swarm. With that in mind, I'm doing some research on best quality, features, price, etc. Having used this non-ventilated borrowed jacket last summer, I'm pretty much convinced now that I'll be wanting to get a ventilated jacket for permanent use. Wow, can a bee suit get hot in the summer sun! LOL

Ventilated bee suits I've seen appear to have three layers; two are inner and outer very thin mesh, and the middle layer is a plastic bead material that basically just keeps the other two layers separated for sting protection. Are all ventilated suits/jackets made this way? Also, what are your thoughts as to fencing veil vs round veil? The jacket I'm using now has a round veil with a built-in wide brimmed hat, but the hat is made of cloth, and the brim collapses enough to allow the veil to touch my neck and face. I wear a baseball cap to protect my face, but would like a more substantial included hat. Illustrations of people wearing suits with fencing veils show the front of the veil touching their chin and nose, so my first impression is that the round veil would be better with a better hat.

I would love to hear what thoughts you have on this, and what you've found to work best. Vendors, convince me to buy your product instead of your competitor's. Thanks all for helping a newbee with this protective gear research.
    I need to go back to work. This being retired is working me too hard!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beekeeping Suit and Veil

The vented jacket is 100% worth it. With how much I sweat during inspections I can't imagine a non-vented jacket. Veils I think are personal preference. I have a fencing type that I feel like my nose is always pressed against the screen, and I have a classic veil with the pith helmet that I feel wants to fall forward when looking down at something. Trade offs to each I suppose.

I have both a vented jacket and suit from Mann Lake. It’s the Provent brand, I think. I love them both. Well made, keeps me comfortable in summer, esp when I just wear a tank top and shorts underneath. They may be having a Memorial Day sale. I bought mine during sales, of course. They may cost a little more, but it’s worth it for comfort and to prevent getting stung! ��
    Last edited by Primdaisy; 05-24-2020 at 05:46 AM.

You’ll hear a lot of recommendations for Ultrabreeze. After getting stung in the forearm one too many times from wrist bands without velcro I ordered a jacket from Ultrabreeze. It’s weird how you can feel the cooling effect when it’s on. I may zip in a different headpiece because I don’t love the fencing style but you would be hard pressed to find better quality. I go into my boomer hive with complete confidence. In whatever you buy look for good zippers and velcro closures.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

I have a Dadant full suit that I like. Great zippers, tough plastic that doesn't catch. Fencing veil, you have to wear a ball cap. This year the suit goes for $128.95. The Jacket is $102.95 The Economy vent suit and jack has a ranger rick round hat. Suit is $152.95 and jacket is $109.95. I cant talk about the zipper on this one, call and ask. 1-8889221293.

Last fall I bought a jacket from the Crooked Hill people at the Missouri State Beekeepers fall seminar. I paid $135 I believe. Poor zipper, catches on the material often. No band name. Fencing veil, boo hiss. I wish I'd ordered the Dadant jacket.

I can't talk about the UltraBreeze never having know anyone with one or even seen one.

Order vented only, you won't regret it!

Well, I've ordered a ventilated jacket with a fencing type veil made by Bee Safety Wears. It doesn't have velcro closures, but I figure I can add that when the elastic wears out or breaks. Other than that, it has good reviews and a bunch of pockets, including one on one of the sleeves. I think it's going to be okay, and the price was certainly right. It was $56.21 with free shipping through Amazon.

I had to order something right away since my friend caught a swarm in his trap a couple of days ago. LOL

Thanks to everyone who offered an opinion on this. Your input definitely helped my decision as to what to look for and buy.
    I need to go back to work. This being retired is working me too hard!

Quote Originally Posted by LAlldredge View Post
    After getting stung in the forearm one too many times from wrist bands without velcro .
    I have started putting pony tail elastic band things around my wrists and it seems to work well to keep the bees out of my sleeves. Now if I could just keep the back of my jacket from riding up when I lean over I would be in good shape.

I highly recommend ultra breeze. USA made and very high quality IMO
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.