Help! Bad at seeing eggs

Default Help! Bad at seeing eggs

Both my husband and I have the hardest time finding eggs. We always have. I have read the description, little grain of rice, etc— but just can’t find them. Any tips or aids? And (prob a dumb question) — would the cells with eggs appear dry or wet? Most of our frames have a dark foundation before the comb is built on it (not sure if that is making it harder).

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Help! Bad at seeing eggs

Not a dumb question at all. It’s the reason I wear my readers during an inspection. Also turning your back towards the sun helps.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

The cells would be dry. Anymore, I have to wear reading glasses or a pair of safety glasses with magnification on the bottom portion to be able to see eggs or get a clear picture of much of anything.

How often are you inspecting your hives?

I check my hives about one a week. If I find some small larve I assume that the queen is still there. It takes about 3 days for an egg to hatch and about 8 days (from laying) for a cell to get capped. I assume if I find smaller larve the queen is still there and I did not kill/loose her during my last inspection. Sometimes I can see eggs and sometimes I can not.

Dark foundation helps. Eggs are not wet, they are dry.

What I do is take a brood frame, and look at the edges of the uncapped brood. Usually I can find eggs there. By "edges of the uncapped brood," I do not mean the edge of the frame, just that there is usually a transition from brood, to eggs, to empty cells or pollen.

Light at your back helps, holding the frame so the sun shines into the cells.

Most of all, keep trying! I couldn't see them for a while when I started, then suddenly I could.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

People will keep saying that dark comb/dark foundation helps - well, not in my opinion ... I find it's then like looking down into a dark tunnel - hopeless.

Give me new white comb any day - people say that white on white is hard to see - not so (imo) - because with new white comb and the sun somewhere behind you there's natural side-lighting, which creates shadows inside the cells. I find spotting eggs on such combs a breeze - with a magnifying glass of course. Yes - little grains of rice. Once spotted, never forgotten.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I have black, white, and natural wax foundations, and I find them all pretty equal in their ability to highlight eggs. As others have mentioned, lighting seems to be the most important factor--I can often be seen twisting around in the bee yard trying to get just the right angle of sun in the cells. But if that fails and I really need to check a hive for eggs, I carry a cheap magnifying glass with a built-in LED light. I just keep it in my bee toolbox and it's with me if I need it.

Like a grain of rice, but much smaller. If you are looking for something like a grain of rice you will never find them. They are tiny. I turn the frame so the sunlight is straight down into the cells and then don't have much trouble.
    As said above, look for uncapped larvae first. Find those and the eggs are usually in the cells nearby.

I know what you mean about not being able to find them. I would have to have my readers on but with sweating in the suit and glasses don't mix well.
    I was in mine yesterday. I didn't find the queen because I was dong 15 other things trying to fix an over drawn Med frame. What I was able to find was full sheet of Capped brood on a Foundationless frame that was put in on May 4th. On another frame I found very small larvae in a C shape, almost filling the very bottom, so young.

So for me I am happy with that for now. Next week I will bring magnifying glass to look closer.
    -Linda

I keep a flashlight in my bee suit pocket. The sun isn’t reliable here, plus I’m often in the shade.

I have a hard enough time seeing the queen, let alone eggs , even with reading glasses, I'd have to use some jewelers thingys. I don't worry about it, as long as I see tiny larva, which thank goodness, I can see, I'm happy.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Yes, me too. I cannot see eggs. And, believe me, I have tried. So, instead, I look for the small larvae, that is as good as it gets for me, and I have learned to be content with it. I don't have a "right now" picture of the hive, but I get an good idea of what was happening about 4 days prior. I have learned to live with that, and it's fine for my own needs. If I happen to spot the queen, then I am really happy.
    4,500' -- low humidity; generally sunny; USDA zone 6b. One TBH.

The easiest thing for me is to take pictures of areas that I suspect there to be eggs with my cell phone, then magnify them later when I'm finished with my inspection. Or there are portable microscopes that connect to your cellphone Amazon for $20ish.

I agree that dark foundation helps.
    I can see them in both, but for light foundation I have to use light (either the sun or flashlight) with dark foundation, I dont need extra light. They just pop!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I too wear glasses and most of the time the sweat makes it difficult to see what I need to see so I can move on to the next hive. I've used the same cheap pair of magnifiers for 5 years and I would be lost without them. For only $4.99 I don't think you'll find a better deal than the Chinese Tool Store H-F but search for Magnifier Head Strap With Lights or you won't find them. They have a small round magnifying glass (unscrewed and tossed). They also have a flip down inner square magnifying glass (broke it off and tossed) because to see anything you would have to hold the frame about 3-4 inches from my face. That leaves a stationary magnifier built on the headset that works perfect to see the eggs even in low light situations. I didn't think I would ever use the built in headlights (didn't want to draw the bees) so I put tape over each compartment to keep my veil from catching on them when I put it on and off. And it's easy to push up just out of your line of sight when not in use.