Murphy North Carolina

Default Murphy North Carolina

Getting ready to move a couple of hives to Murphy in time for the Sourwood. Is anybody on here from around there that can tell me what's blooming and is the Sourwood going to be first of June? Seems like things were a couple of weeks early around Atlanta.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Murphy North Carolina

I keep a yard west of Franklin at about 3500 ft and sourwood there begins blooming at the end of June.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Beemanden, you seem accurate to me. I am at 2200 feet in Asheville and often spin some frames out the weekend of Father's day to get refilled with sourwood. Our sourwood starts somewhere around the end of the 3rd week to the middle of the 4th week of June. This years weather has been strange, the season started early but the last week or so has been cold and rainy with not much nectar collected. If it doesn't get a lot better we may only extract once.

Thanks guys. I thought I took them up at the start of June last year but now i'm sure I brought them up the end of June. Hope the flow last a while up there this year. Last year a did very well with them.

This would be helpful to some of the new beekeepers in Asheville area. Sorry, at least it's not too far from Murphy. I went through my old calendars that I used like a journal and we have had sourwood blooming anywhere from June 22nd to June 26th the past several years. Just don't see where I have ever recorded the average date that it is done. I call it done when the majority of the blooms fall off and the bees quit visiting them.

Ive got a friend with property in the hills east of asheville near swannanoa. He doesn't have bees himself, but has wanted to get into it. I've thought about dropping down for a visit and parking some hives with him for a month or so to try and catch the sourwood flow. Anyone have any luck in that area?
    Mistakes are the best taechers