Hive Location (Backs to metal shed)

Default Hive Location (Backs to metal shed)

Hey all - first year bee keeper with 3 hives adding 2 more. My question is in regard to hive placement. I am adding 2 more hives and want to keep the hives on my property. This location seems to fit most of the standard placement recommendations and would provide the best north wind protection for Midwest winters. The only real concern I had was having them so close to the metal shed. I'm not sure if this is an issue so any feedback would be a big help. Thanks all.

IMG_20200522_060023.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive Location (Backs to metal shed)

It's difficult to make out from your photograph how close to the shed they are, but ideally you need around 3 feet or so space at the back of hives, so that you can inspect them from that position.

You mention protection from the North, which suggests that particular wall faces South - does it get very hot on a summer's day ?
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Thanks so much for the response. There is not 3 feet in the back but still enough space I will be able to inspect. The photo is taken facing north (hive front facing south). This area can and does get hot - but also provides the most protection in the winter. In Iowa the summers can get hot but the winters I think would be more of an issue. I live on top of a ridge that gets lots of wind so that was the thought.

I think that location should work well by what you are saying and the picture. As LJ said, room to work from behind is good to plan for. Is there a road or neighbor property line or any other place that passer-by’s will be near in that location? That is something to think about. I have good neighbors, but sometimes hives are better out of site and out of mind from a neighbor’s perspective.

Your propane man may not be super happy about the hive placement, but that’s why he gets paid the big bucks. I just paid like $3.50/gallon! 🤮

Cool - thank you. No neighbors to worry about for miles (just wind and crops). Lucky for me that tank is only filled in the winter time. I had thought about putting the hives closer to the fields but I was concerned about the crop sprays (corn and beans).

Quote Originally Posted by steelhog View Post
    Hey all - first year bee keeper with 3 hives adding 2 more. My question is in regard to hive placement. I am adding 2 more hives and want to keep the hives on my property. This location seems to fit most of the standard placement recommendations and would provide the best north wind protection for Midwest winters. The only real concern I had was having them so close to the metal shed. I'm not sure if this is an issue so any feedback would be a big help. Thanks all.

IMG_20200522_060023.jpg
    Kindly add your location and the way the wall faces.
    If you are in the UP of Michigan maybe good place, if in florida not so much.

Put a thermometer on the top of a hive during the hot times, if it is too hot a piece of styrofoam would help. Also if you are in a snow spot it could warm and the bees fly out in the snow, so keep an Eye on that.

GG

I am in Iowa - so cold windy winters and somewhat hot summers. But even at the hottest day in the summer it wouldn't touch some Sothern states. The orientation of things is that the hive entrance faces south and the building provides a north wind block (so the photo is looking northward). Good suggestion on the thermometers and styrofoam. I had also planned to add a screened bottom in the summer to help also.

Light colored hives and wall, should be ok. North wind protection good as well
    Concur on the distance from the wall, be nice to work them from the back.

Looks like a good spot to me.

I would do the tray in on the SBB for the winter.

GG

The reason I like 3 feet behind a hive and not 2, is that - although I can slide into a 2ft space without any difficulty - being a big lad, a problem arises should I ever need to bend down. Because - as I bend down, my bum sticks out backwards, and if there isn't enough room behind, then my face ends up being pushed forwards directly over an open box - and some bees object strongly to that.
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    The reason I like 3 feet behind a hive and not 2, is that - although I can slide into a 2ft space without any difficulty - being a big lad, a problem arises should I ever need to bend down. Because - as I bend down, my bum sticks out backwards, and if there isn't enough room behind, then my face ends up being pushed forwards directly over an open box - and some bees object strongly to that.
    LJ
    LJ working from the back is my preference as well. When from the front My Bum is pointing toward the incoming field bees.

I guess, plan a safe Bum place.....

Read the various answers and realized I am different than most beekeepers I keep my hives on a 3'x8' platforms, two hives to a platform and maybe a nuc; 3-4 foot separation between hives. I have a platform against the south side of my barn. I have five platforms scattered around. I just realized I work all my hives from the sides - facing the frames when I pull one up. I separate my platforms by 100 feet or more on 4 acres ( tiny farm - like). Bees do like the morning sun, especially in winter.

GG's comment about a white insulating top is a good one. I did it all last year on nine colonies with no top venting. Bees will manage the temperatures inside the hive by ventilating, evaporating water (swamp cooler) and simply moving bodies outside for a while. They like a warm temperature for brood rearing, 93-95 F, and even warmer around the supers to evaporate moisture when making honey; measured 100 -102F. You will hear the hummmmmh when they are ventilating with their wings - pushing moisture and heat out. I do use screened bottom boards with the sticky board installed 95% of the time. You will see bees lined up, fanning to pull air out the entrance or landing area while others circulate the internal air.

I am attempting to insulate the hives through the summer here. It is hot and humid in August. Past winter was very successful. I will post problems if I discover them.

Best of luck.

You can work a hive from the side (I prefer to) and so I think its fine. You do need enough space on all sides that you can safely lift, pivot, and set down a box without wrenching any muscles. Safe rapid area egress is important just in case for those moments late in the summer dearth when you piss them off. Clear out the crap on the ground to the left and always keep in mind that there is a rain gutter there or consider rerouting it west. Bees aren't going to pause and take a break if you roll your ankle or hurt your back. Your work area should be clear.

You may as well get started on expanding that entire area, you're going to need more space for hives anyways.
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    ...as I bend down, my bum sticks out backwards, and if there isn't enough room behind, then my face ends up being pushed forwards directly over an open box - and some bees object strongly to that. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
    LJ
    I was reading your post and imagining face planting into a hive overflowing with bees. Sound like something I would do. I couldn’t help but chuckle 😂😂😂

LOL
    While this virus persists we need little bits of humour to brighten our days
    LJ