Got viciously attacked today when observering hive

Default Got viciously attacked today when observering hive

Well sort of. I was squatting down watching bees bring in a lot of pollen when all of a sudden I felt something climbing up the back of my pant legs making a lot of noise including some snarling.

Found out my son was secretly keeping a couple of orphans. Hunger seems to be the motivation.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg Figuring out the bottle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

So...... crazy as a pet coon. Does it hold any value? I’ve always wanted a pet raccoon. They seem mischievous.

Default Re: Got viciously attacked today when observering hive

One of my neighbors had a young orphan coon a few years ago. Cute and fun when small, but got less cuddly when it got older. Last straw was when it bit one of his kids...........

They are wild by nature. Some are more aggressive but when you feed them they calm down. I get a little wading pool and introduce them to crayfish, minnows, and clams, grasshoppers. Last time we had three. Absolutely loved potato chips. Just crinkling the bag would get their attention. Let them loose way out in the woods along a river when they got old enough to fend for themselves. Way too many of them in Michigan, but they are cute little buggers.

Not something I would want anywhere near my bees............. or chickens.
    Some states have a law against keeping coons as pets. Looks like Michigan requires a permit for these
    -Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    but they are cute little buggers.
    So are mice, skunks, and grizzly bears.
    Zone 6B

I raised one from when he was still nursing and had him for 22 years. We built him a large walk in cage to live in but let him out daily. He came in the house with the other pets and played with dogs. He and an old blue tick hound dog became best buddies.
    Dan

My brother had one. It was very cute when small. It would keep stealing his watch and keys and hide them. As it got older, it got more aggressive and he had to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger19687 View Post
    Not something I would want anywhere near my bees............. or chickens.
    Some states have a law against keeping coons as pets. Looks like Michigan requires a permit for these
    Sure does, But I'm not going to worry about it. Sort of like me asking you if you never speed when driving.

My choices would be to kill them so they don't starve to death should I turn them out, or, knowing the sanitary risks, raise them to the point where they can be returned to their natural habitat. I choose the latter.

There are so many of them in my state, that if the state got involved, they would euthanize them.

They are caged to keep them out of mischief. Not worried about our chickens or bees. Adult raccoons are another story. Usually shot on sight. These youngsters will be released miles back in the woods away from people.

I grew up with a scientist dad so cats and dogs for pets weren't considered. We had all kinds of wild animals in the house. My favorites were; 2 baby fox squirrels raised because their mother got run over. They loved to terrorize my mom. I remember her trying to sneak to the basement with laundry only to have the squirrels spot her and run over and climb up and over her head and down, once. Then it was back to whatever they had been doing. All of us kids would be howling with laughter. Years after we turned them loose they would come back to our front porch and beg for peanuts. We would put peanuts in our shirt pockets and they would fish around for them. An armadillo that would follow us around the yard eating worms and such. We had as many as 74 bats in the house while dad developed an artificial diet so the government could keep them alive to study rabies. They purr like a cat when content. Some were taught to come and land in your hand by snapping your fingers. 2 sparrow hawk orphans, We splinted a broken leg on one of them. Healed just fine. Raised them up let them go. They would come back and sit on top of the swing set. Sometimes we fed them cut up chunks of beef.