Bees bearding

Thread: Bees bearding

Default Bees bearding

My bees here hanging out in front of the hive yesterday for a few hours. I think it's getting hot for them and they need to cool down. It's been in the 90's this week. Does anyone have any idea on how I could easily add some ventilation?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees bearding

Good morning perez, what is your hive set up, couple of deeps and a super or two? So, this time of year robbing shouldn't be so bad so you have a lot of options. Depending on your inner cover setup you can rotate the inner cover for an upper exit. You could also add popsicle sticks under the inner cover to wedge them open. You could also drill a hole in your supers to allow for an upper exit/vent.

My preference is a shim that has an hole in it to allow for ventilation. It is also very helpful in winter for feeding fondant.

https://www.betterbee.com/feeders/shim8k.asp

Just because its worth mentioning the board man feeder you use are always very problematic for robbing, especially late in the season.

Default Re: Bees bearding

Thanks for responding! My hive is 2 deeps and no super just yet. I installed a nuc 6 weeks ago. i think ill be adding a super soon. I'm feeding them with a jar in the front of the hive. they dont seem to take much though. i have only filled the jar 4x since i have had them and its a 1 liter jar.

I was thinking of adding a hole to the super but i need a quick fix in the mean time. I'll try the popsicle sticks. they go in between the inner cover and the deep right?

Yeah between the inner cover and the deep, it allows for more vent without adding another entrance. You could also turn over your inner cover to create the upper entrance.