2.5 weeks post package install question and pics

Default 2.5 weeks post package install question and pics

So checked hive yesterday 5-18-20 and I think I had 2 of the frames too spread apart please see pics and comment if this is repairable or just leave as is. Looks like they are working a few of the frames as well as the bunched up ones in the middle.

Bees1.jpgbees2.jpgbees3.jpg
    Last edited by PRobees; 05-19-2020 at 05:52 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2.5 weeks post package install question and pics

Are there eggs or larve or capped cells in the wonky comb? If so I would leave it for a while. If there is not eggs or larvae in the wonky comb I would scrape it off and push the frames together. With a package you do not want to take out any eggs/larve/capped brood, you want to give them every chance you can to let them build up.

Let them do what they want for now in that wonky spot, just make sure that the other frames are pushed tightly together and they should build up normally. Once they get to the point where they have drawn out other frames, you can move them out of the center, let the brood emerge, and then scrape out that silly comb. The bees will never repair it on their own, you will have to remove it eventually.
    USDA Hardiness Zone 7A, Hobbyist, First Hives in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Akademee View Post
    Let them do what they want for now in that wonky spot, just make sure that the other frames are pushed tightly together and they should build up normally. Once they get to the point where they have drawn out other frames, you can move them out of the center, let the brood emerge, and then scrape out that silly comb. The bees will never repair it on their own, you will have to remove it eventually.
    I would do this. But rather than "scraping," I would cut away the excess thickness with a sharp knife, so more like thinning instead of removing.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Not now, but eventually you could also move it to the outside positions, rotate it so the wonky frames are outward. Don't do it now as the population looks small ish and you dont want to separate the broodnest. As others had suggested leave it for now but slowly look to resolve it as the season goes on. Wonky comb like that makes it hard to look for queen cells or other issues. I generally start moving them out of the brood nest until there is no brood in it but before they put honey in it, then trim it back as much as necessary. Worse case it all goes in the melter.

GREAT advice - thanks much all, will take another look this weekend to look for eggs and larvae. Didn't know exactly what to do with the wonky.
    Last edited by PRobees; 05-20-2020 at 01:11 PM.