'Marmelade bee' nest layout

Default 'Marmelade bee' nest layout

Hi everyone!

Sharing here some of the particularities about this bee species (Frieseomelitta varia - Marmelade Bee)

Until recently this was a difficult species to do maintenance, because of how they build their nest.
    Here is the brood area, they build the individual cells in bundles, not in combs. It's really easy to damage the brood while doing maintenance or splitting the swarm without the right nest box.
    (Next month I'll be splitting 2 of my swarms, I can record and post it if you guys want it)
    20200515_171645.jpg
    20200515_171623.jpg
    20200515_171529.jpg

Newly emerged worker
    20200515_171705.jpg

Here is the area where the polen and honey is stored
    The polen is stored in these column-like structures and the honey in these dark-colored little pots.
    20200516_190820.jpg

Let ne know if you want more about these other bee species, I've access to a lot of different species, each one with different behaviors and ways to funcyion as a swarm. I'd love to show them if you want

(I've created this thread here because I wasn't sure in what forum place it. If there's a better place, please let me know, I'll delete this one and re-post in the right place).

* For some reason, the images are going sideways, don't know why...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 'Marmelade bee' nest layout

That is really interesting (I know that sounds lame ) Very cool.
    Proverbs 16:24

Way cool. Please continue to post pictures. You are providing a rare opportunity for the rest of us to see how other honey bees live and reproduce.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    Hi everyone!

Sharing here some of the particularities about this bee species (Frieseomelitta varia - Marmelade Bee)

Until recently this was a difficult species to do maintenance, because of how they build their nest.
    Here is the brood area, they build the individual cells in bundles, not in combs. It's really easy to damage the brood while doing maintenance or splitting the swarm without the right nest box.
    (Next month I'll be splitting 2 of my swarms, I can record and post it if you guys want it)
    20200515_171645.jpg
    20200515_171623.jpg
    20200515_171529.jpg

Newly emerged worker
    20200515_171705.jpg

Here is the area where the polen and honey is stored
    The polen is stored in these column-like structures and the honey in these dark-colored little pots.
    20200516_190820.jpg

Let ne know if you want more about these other bee species, I've access to a lot of different species, each one with different behaviors and ways to funcyion as a swarm. I'd love to show them if you want

(I've created this thread here because I wasn't sure in what forum place it. If there's a better place, please let me know, I'll delete this one and re-post in the right place).

* For some reason, the images are going sideways, don't know why...
    Alessandra - are you in Brazil? Can you update your profile to give your location? Thanks for sharing the information!

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Way cool. Please continue to post pictures. You are providing a rare opportunity for the rest of us to see how other honey bees live and reproduce.
    Alessandra:

I echo JW's sentiments- thank you for posting these interesting photos. It looks as though the nest is behind glass- is this colony housed in an observation hive?

Thanks again for posting this information- very interesting!

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Must be very challenging to tend those bees. Yes, more please! J

I have a video of the nest uploaded, I've made subtitles explaining a little about them. (remember to activate it)
    https://youtu.be/SnHofW9NHWc

Jonsl:
    I updated my profile, sorry about that.

Litsinger:
    You could say so. But this nest box was desing this way to make maintenance easier, so I can monitor de colony development without disrupting them (too much), I can keep an eye in the brood development and food storage to decide if it's a good idea split the swarm and if it is, wich modules I'll be taking out.
    You can use it for educational purposes, but the main reason is maintenance.

Ruggggus:
    Thank you for the images, I see from a search that these are stingless bees. Do they bite or inflict pain in any way? How large is the typical hive (estimated bee count and dimensions of equipment) how much honey is produced from one hive in an average year? Do they produce wax? Only one queen per hive I assume?
    Thank you for your time.
    They're mildly agressive, just a light swarm around the head and rub propolis on your face, hair and arm. With a swarm big enough you can get all sticky.
    (There are other VERY agressive stingless species, is even recomended to use a suit to manage them)

They usually stand around 1000 to 3000 individuals, this diference is due the nest size (hollow or box) and food availability.
    Some people say they can reach 5000. Honestly, I've never seen a swarm that big.
    The nest box is about 16 x 8 x 4 inches - you can house them in a bigger nest box, it's just depend what are you aiming for.

This species produces a very small amount of honey (no lineages were developed for honey yet in this bee). Since I'm still increasing the number of swarms, I haven't harvested honey from them yet, so I'm not sure how much honey my colonies produce.
    However, this is a typical amount you can harvest per season in this box (in Brasil we can have up to 3 seasons - depending of the location you have production the year round)
    20200523_181651.jpg

They do produce wax, it's just a little bit and isn't like the true honey bee wax. You can't use it for other bees except for this one.

Only one queen for swarm, yes. And they have some intersting features about this, I'm going to split two of my colononies in a few weeks. I'll record and explain a little more then.

Hope you enjoy! Have a nice weekend!

These bees are really fascinating. I enjoyed the youtube, gracias. J