pollen sub patty tweak question

Default pollen sub patty tweak question

Not looking for a new recipe. Finding my patties are drying out quickly this year. Should I up the water content to make them softer or add more oil to them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: pollen sub patty tweak question

Well just an opinion here, but the water will eventually dry out, and oil doesn’t. What oil do you use?
    Proverbs 16:24

Currently using vegetable oil. But I've used olive oil, canola oil, or whatever I have that is cheap at the time. Think I used canola last year w/o issues. Maybe oil type matters what do others think?

So what did you change in your recipe this year that made it drier? I don’t know about what is better unless I compare to people food.
    Proverbs 16:24

Invert sugar doesn't dry out. I don't make pollen patties but have used it for other things. I know some have used it in patties.

I usually make 3-4 5# patches in my kitchen aid at a time. Cause I hate cleaning 5 gallon buckets with sub stuck to it along with paint mixer. Kitchen aid is easier to scrub. But that's just me. I use Bee-pro with a basic recipe except with a pinch of vitamin & minerals that Laurie Miller recommended when she was active here. I've only changed the oil I use. Thinking I'll just up my oil content to see if that works better.

I upped the oil to two cups in my 25# batches and it still gets hard. This fall I am going to start adding Pro-sweet. Have noticed that in the nucs that have brood in them, the patties are moist, while in the broodless nucs the patties dry out.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.