Advertisements

Default Re: A Randy O model...

clover
    You mean there is still hope?
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

In my experience, a big maybe, still waiting....I thought it was amusing thay he made a chart of that. Hey, why dont you use some duct tape and a sharpie? for your hives of course
    Proverbs 16:24

I think the apex of "I know it all" comes a little sooner. You tube makes a lot of instant experts willing to provide advice on topics in which they have no first hand experience. I may have been guilty of this crime in the past myself. The period of enlightenment begins when you realize that half of what you thought you knew is pure garbage and you're not so sure about the other half.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Its called the Dunning Kruger effect if any one wants to delve into the psychology behind it

I was certainly an expert by the end of my 2nd year... 2 years behind me of razing queens with cut strips and growing my numbers with almost no losses ..
    I had learned it all... Langs were bad, if you don't treat for mites your don't need to, the bees will take care of them self's

The pit of disillusionment hit hard, 3 years of 100% losses
    "oh well, let us stick to science. let them have their beliefs and intuitions!" -Medhat Nasr

Cute - I never knew is was a twelve year program of schooling. Half way through - I think!

So, I can hope to be productive this year? Yes!!
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I think the apex of "I know it all" comes a little sooner. You tube makes a lot of instant experts willing to provide advice on topics in which they have no first hand experience. I may have been guilty of this crime in the past myself. The period of enlightenment begins when you realize that half of what you thought you knew is pure garbage and you're not so sure about the other half.
    My sentiments also; Im still stuck on the drone brood I saw that just looked so weird to me..
    Proverbs 16:24

the number of different adamant opinions on the same topic is what always amazes me.

Way too much dogma in beekeeping. The more experience I get, the fewer absolutes I find.

I think I laughed too hard at this. I've just gotten on the plateau...being productive, but still asking myself if im just a bad beekeeper.

Year 2 was bad, 100% loss by fall. Lesson, some swarms are so bad they kill your other bees too by dragging in mites and diseases. Year 3 was when I started learning a bit and increasing numbers. Now year 4. I know everything and just ask, I'll tell you the right answer!

If 12 years is the magic number I am almost there, 11 years of doing the first year over and over again.

I think I need to show that graph to my bees, maybe they will cut me some slack

This is great, and so far has followed my experience exactly. I am definitely in my 4th year pit right now.
    USDA Hardiness Zone 7A, Hobbyist, First Hives in 2017