• 1/2#-3/4#

1 7.69%
  • 3/4#-1#

5 38.46%
  • > 1#

2 15.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much wax?

1/3 of an ounce over my guessed ranged. Bummer!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How much wax?

My brood comb post steam processing was incredibly light. The "cocoon" structure was very impressive in it's ability to hold the shape of the cells. I then wondered how the delicate structure could be re-purposed.

I am going to use a solar heater to clean the frames of wax and save on human labor - if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggggus View Post
    1/3 of an ounce over my guessed ranged. Bummer!
    What suprised me most was the number of people that guessed at less than half a pound. I have rendered brood comb in the past and generally expect a 10 frame box to yield right at 2#. Because drone comb has fewer cells, I was pretty much expecting these five frames to fall into the 3/4-1# range. Pleasantly suprised to hit the 1# mark. I know a lot of the wax is in the cocoons as previously mentioned. Seen a lot of home rendering videos where the cocoons are simply skimmed off and discarded. The amount of wax recovered always seems minor compared to the amount of comb processed.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Was those numbers on old combs(20-60 year old combs). On a barrel of scrapings I can get 90+ lbs. On a barrel of slum I can 50-110 lbs. On a barrel of old combs 20-25 lbs. On a barrel of capping 130-155 lbs.

Last year my operation rendered over 5K lbs. of beeswax. Beeswax is a good marketable product, but it all comes with work. Sometimes a lot of work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12