Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Swarm Bearded on Trap

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ironclad 
#1 ·
I have a nuc ordered, but at the advice of many here I built some nucs and set them out as swarm traps.

I actually got to watch a swarm land on my trap today. It was very cool to see!

They covered the face of it, and bearded underneath. For quite awhile I watched them pouring into the entrance.

Now several hours later, there are bees flying in and out, but there are also a bunch of bees bearded still that aren't going in.

It is a 5 frame nuc box with 2 foundationless frames. Could the box be too small for them all to get in it? Should I just leave them alone for a few days or should I try to go ahead and move them to my hive?

Thanks
Ironclad

#3 ·
I am in mid Missouri. It is supposed to be high 60s all week but it is supposed to storm tomorrow.

Just so we are on the same page, my nucs have the bottom board attached, so it would be separate boxes. Would you still suggest stacking them?

I do have a 7 deep nuc set as a swarm trap about 100 yds away that I could load up with frames and bring over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.