Swarm Bearded on Trap

Default Swarm Bearded on Trap

I have a nuc ordered, but at the advice of many here I built some nucs and set them out as swarm traps.

I actually got to watch a swarm land on my trap today. It was very cool to see!

They covered the face of it, and bearded underneath. For quite awhile I watched them pouring into the entrance.

Now several hours later, there are bees flying in and out, but there are also a bunch of bees bearded still that aren't going in.

It is a 5 frame nuc box with 2 foundationless frames. Could the box be too small for them all to get in it? Should I just leave them alone for a few days or should I try to go ahead and move them to my hive?

Thanks
    Ironclad

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Swarm Bearded on Trap

Depends were you are located and what the weather is going to be like for the next few days.
    If you can place a second nuc box on top with frames and see if they move in.
    Zone 6b 1400'

I am in mid Missouri. It is supposed to be high 60s all week but it is supposed to storm tomorrow.

Just so we are on the same page, my nucs have the bottom board attached, so it would be separate boxes. Would you still suggest stacking them?

I do have a 7 deep nuc set as a swarm trap about 100 yds away that I could load up with frames and bring over.

Late last night I climbed a ladder to take a look and I couldn't see that any bees were in the box anymore, just a massive beard underneath. I guess I'll try to grab them tonight if they are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclad View Post
    Late last night I climbed a ladder to take a look and I couldn't see that any bees were in the box anymore, just a massive beard underneath. I guess I'll try to grab them tonight if they are still there.
    Ironclad:

I apologize that I am just now seeing this post- how'd everything turn out? Were you able to scoop them up and hive them?

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Same thing happened to me, I think the swarm just used my trap as a gathering place. made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfA_KZRqWIU
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper 2nd yr 21 hives
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Litsinger,

Yeah I got them and stuck them in my hive. I haven't looked in on them but they have eaten a quart of sugar syrup in two days so they seem like they're doing ok.