Northeastern/Mid-Western Weather roller-coaster 2020. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Northeastern/Mid-Western Weather roller-coaster 2020.

My point is, that in my area, unusual weather is not unusual and is expected. You seem skittish about unusual weather.

Some time ago one of our extension agents retired after 40 years and said he had not yet seen a "normal" season.
    Last edited by Schultz; 05-06-2020 at 04:22 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    This is not a drill.

Check this map for your location, and plan accordingly.

High Resolution Link:

https://imgur.com/a/REVxBCn

I'm reminded of the Polar vortex during the extreme winter of 2013-2104. Cold as a witches...
    Here on the Atlantic coast we prepare for over wintering with max 60 lbs of stores in the hive in mid November. Holds them just fine during normal winter conditions until about March, sometimes late February, when they can fly on nice days for maple and alder pollen and nectar.
    That winter had me supplementing stores in the hives in early February due to the abnormal and extreme cold temperatures and the forecast for March was for more of the same. That was certainly not a drill for a relatively speaking mild winter beekeeping operation on the Atlantic coast that puts his bees to bed with a normal 60 lbs. of stores. Cut holes in the bay ice with the chainsaws to tong for quahog clams that winter- next to my truck, played more hockey games than I can count on the pond and took 2 days to feed wet sugar to the bees in shims in freezing cold and snow. Everything was frozen that winter, except my bees who had plenty of stores to keep warm into mid April thanks to the plan to feed them up like we were wintering them in the Adirondack Mountains. Losses negligible when most in the area experienced record losses.

You're concerned apparently and sounded the alarm, so what's your concern and what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    I'm reminded of the Polar vortex during the extreme winter of 2013-2104. Cold as a witches...
    Here on the Atlantic coast we prepare for over wintering with max 60 lbs of stores in the hive in mid November. Holds them just fine during normal winter conditions until about March, sometimes late February, when they can fly on nice days for maple and alder pollen and nectar.
    That winter had me supplementing stores in the hives in early February due to the abnormal and extreme cold temperatures and the forecast for March was for more of the same. That was certainly not a drill for a relatively speaking mild winter beekeeping operation on the Atlantic coast that puts his bees to bed with a normal 60 lbs. of stores. Cut holes in the bay ice with the chainsaws to tong for quahog clams that winter- next to my truck, played more hockey games than I can count on the pond and took 2 days to feed wet sugar to the bees in shims in freezing cold and snow. Everything was frozen that winter, except my bees who had plenty of stores to keep warm into mid April thanks to the plan to feed them up like we were wintering them in the Adirondack Mountains. Losses negligible when most in the area experienced record losses.

You're concerned apparently and sounded the alarm, so what's your concern and what's your plan?
    No hive body rotations.

No supers are on the hives.

Checked weights, all hives have enough from their limited foraging, and from last fall.

I hope your hives are still winterized.

I hope your hives are still winterized.

You mean still have the mouse guards and homosote board on the inner cover of the story an a half that I winter them in? That's all I do to winter them besides feed them to weight
    if necessary.
    No!
    Mouse guards off, homosote board off. All have queen excluders on and all with at least 1 super, most with two.
    I'm not concerned that my bees, or the nucs I made this spring, are at any risk by this cold snap.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    You mean still have the mouse guards and homosote board on the inner cover of the story an a half that I winter them in? That's all I do to winter them besides feed them to weight
    if necessary.
    No!
    Mouse guards off, homosote board off. All have queen excluders on and all with at least 1 super, most with two.
    I'm not concerned that my bees, or the nucs I made this spring, are at any risk by this cold snap.
    @Clyerroad you're not in an area that will see the record low temperatures that will put your hives in danger. I wouldn't be wasting my energy posting here if temps were only going to be in the mid 30s tonight.

@Clyerroad you're not in an area that will see the record low temperatures that will put your hives in danger. I wouldn't be wasting my energy posting here if temps were only going to be in the mid 30s tonight.
    Only those who rushed the season and weakened their colonies with aggressive manipulations instead of equalizing and strengthening them are concerned with this cold blip. Have you rushed the season? Had weak bees coming out of winter and should have combined some? Made some early splits that have stalled? What is your concern, you still have not answered that question.

Where in NE PA are you?

Might break the record low of 29 here tonight; certainly no cause for concern about the bees. The fruit trees in bloom now, that might be!

Low of 22* tonight and a high of 34* tomorrow, snowing right now.
    Proverbs 16:24

We are expecting low thirties here in Richmond, supposed to break the record for the day. So what. The bees are loaded with stores, plenty of honey and pollen. Some brood may get chilled in the weaker hives. Otherwise, the only concession I am making is not to sell four nucs scheduled for this Sunday.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Calling for 29 here. The only thing I'm concerned about is the young blueberries I just planted. My bees should be fine. If they can't survive a cold snap like this I need to find different genetics. As I posted earlier, my last frost date according to the calendar is 5/13 so this cold snap isn't totally unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Low of 22* tonight and a high of 34* tomorrow, snowing right now.
    same here, I was thinking of getting the snow blower back out and doing the lawn
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Temps got down into the low 20s.

I wish I had some encouraging news for these locations that got temps 27 and below, but I cannot see a silver lining.

The bees may be alive, but what will they eat?
    Last edited by username00101; 05-09-2020 at 06:27 PM.

I wish I had some encouraging news for these locations that got temps 27 and below, but I cannot see a silver lining.

the honey and pollen that you left in the hive.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

What?
    No reports yet of compromised or dead colonies or of freeze damage to the nectar plants of late spring, summer and fall so the doom and gloom fears must not have materialized.

Hi Username; the honey bee is pretty hardy, they can take the cold. Like some of the other responders, I also have supers on some of the hives, and made up a nuc on 4/28, and did two walkaway splits on 5/2. Still have more to do. Checked today QC drawn and being filled, capped one in nuc. One hive had a torn down supersedure cell a few weeks ago, and I thought I’d have to combine, but today, eggs in that hive. All hives are un-winterized. Foam is always in the outer cover. So all through this weather they did fine. I’m probably closest to you; northeast PA is about 45 min from me, I am west Catskill Mtn. My hives were light so I fed them that needed it. They are still a little light but will be OK till next good day to put feeders back on those that need it. Try not to worry so much about it. Purchase an inhive feeder and you can rest easy.

Everything good here. Yesterday cold and windy all day; today the wind quit the clouds thinned a little and got up to 55 this afternoon. The bees were falling all over each other bringing in pollen like nothing ever happened. Life is good!

All the buds did not die. There are more trees that will bloom in addition to other plants. They still have dandilions plus other flowers getting ready, like phlox, lupines, etc. Serviceberry trees are blooming and other flowering trees are soon to emerge. You will be OK. These bees find food everywhere.

Our last pollen came in on Wednesday for about four hours. Glad I got the pollen patties on last week. I'm worried about the fruit tree farms along lake Ontario. Could be shortage of apples, cherries and so on.

@Cloverdale.

Yes, you're not too far from me - maybe 1.5 hours or so.

I'm curious what your elevation is?
    Last edited by username00101; 05-10-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123