Northeastern/Mid-Western Weather roller-coaster 2020. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Northeastern/Mid-Western Weather roller-coaster 2020.

Weather here in central Jersey hasn't been too bad, though a bit rainy. 72 today, supposed to be 77 tomorrow and then back down into the 50s and 60s next week. Lots of pollen has been coming in for about a month. My 2 strongest hives I tried checkerboarding this year so they each have 3 deeps on. One has 3 supers on and the other has 1 on. Plenty of nectar coming in. Two hives that went into the winter in single deeps I've added a second deep to. I also added a super to the stronger of the two. Created a nuke from the strongest hive. Saw capped queen cells in it during today's inspection.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    he said
    Right. I'm still confused.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo3 View Post
    Right. I'm still confused.
    Bee escapes
    Featured snippet from the web
    Acting as a one-way gate between boxes of your hive, the bee escape allows workers to leave a "honey super" and return to the brood nest during the night. In the morning, the board's tiny maze foils their attempts to reenter the box.Aug 13, 2015
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Feeding went as planned.Escapes have been removed and are on the last yard.Where before, brood frames were totally dry,now upper corners have triangles of syrup.

I was forced to make a decision.I had about 30 hives,all with 2 supers each.The brood nests were practically empty of honey.The honey supers had been stored wet and even though they had been on the hives for about 2 weeks,the supers were loaded with bees and some even had a few eggs and young larvae(no excluders).The thought of removing 60 supers and shaking bees was quickly discarded.The escapes isolated the supers while some syrup was stored around the brood nest but I think a good portion was consumed by the bees.

These were large colonies that had been cooped up by cold temps and rain and faced possible starvation.I wasn't worried about losing the colonies but I was worried that the Q would stop laying and the hive would lose it's forward momentum,just when I need that expansion for the upcoming flow.
    Full foraging mode yesterday and weather looks promising for the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    Bee escapes
    Featured snippet from the web
    Acting as a one-way gate between boxes of your hive, the bee escape allows workers to leave a "honey super" and return to the brood nest during the night. In the morning, the board's tiny maze foils their attempts to reenter the box.Aug 13, 2015
    I know what a bee escape is, but I never heard of feeding with an escape on with supers. How is he ensuring the bees aren't storing syrup in the supers?

edit: I guess I'm stuck on top-feeding, which he likely isn't doing. I'm dumb.

I know what a bee escape is, but I never heard of feeding with an escape on with supers. How is he ensuring the bees aren't storing syrup in the supers?

No your not, try having a wacky woman brain, you’ll want to join Mensa!
    Proverbs 16:24

It keeps the bees out of the supers while feeding them so they can't enter the supers with sugar water and store it there. They must store/use it in the brood boxes. Also, the bees that were in the supers will go back down into the brood box through the escape leaving the supers empty of bees and protected from the sugar water feed.

Using queen excluders keeps brood out of the honey supers, but everyone already know that.

Someone got too far ahead of themselves (and the bees) me thinks.
    Last edited by clyderoad; 05-04-2020 at 03:55 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling

Many of the hives are barely strong enough to super.

They couldn't swarm if they wanted to.

Daytime temp highs will be in the low 60s through and into the 3rd week of May.

"It keeps the bees out of the supers while feeding them so they can't enter the supers with sugar water and store it there. They must store/use it in the brood boxes. Also, the bees that were in the supers will go back down into the brood box through the escape leaving the supers empty of bees and protected from the sugar water feed.

Using queen excluders keeps brood out of the honey supers, but everyone already know that.

Someone got too far ahead of themselves (and the bees) me thinks. "

Thank you, I thought I explained by brain fart. Not sure why you're going on about excluders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    Feeding went as planned.Escapes have been removed and are on the last yard.Where before, brood frames were totally dry,now upper corners have triangles of syrup.

I was forced to make a decision.I had about 30 hives,all with 2 supers each.The brood nests were practically empty of honey.The honey supers had been stored wet and even though they had been on the hives for about 2 weeks,the supers were loaded with bees and some even had a few eggs and young larvae(no excluders).The thought of removing 60 supers and shaking bees was quickly discarded.The escapes isolated the supers while some syrup was stored around the brood nest but I think a good portion was consumed by the bees.

These were large colonies that had been cooped up by cold temps and rain and faced possible starvation.I wasn't worried about losing the colonies but I was worried that the Q would stop laying and the hive would lose it's forward momentum,just when I need that expansion for the upcoming flow.
    Full foraging mode yesterday and weather looks promising for the next week.
    How did you feed? Also, do escapes allow queens through (I'm assuming yes).

Jimbo,every colony has a 1 gal frame feeder all year.

Clyderoad, quite the opposite.The bees got ahead of me! Red maple bloom came 2-3 wks early and the (Russian based ) bees took off.The hives are overwintered in 3 med so when the top box filled with brood I brought up the bottom box .In hindsight,I should have made some splits then but I hadn't ordered Qs and very few emerged drones.
    About 3 wks ago a weak flow started with Norway maple,I had 3 boxes of sealed brood and the beginnings of swarm cells.The supers went on as a safety valve while I searched for Qs, ,made some splits and hung some swarm traps.Meanwhile the hives had consumed more than they brought in and I had to make the decision to feed before the bees started to cannibalizing brood.
    Normally in my area its about 4 wks from red maple to the flow but this year about 7wks.Apples are blooming now,pretty much on schedule.
    April was cold and wet and I am hearing rumors of frost damage on peaches and plums again this year.The foragers were frustrated and couldn't fly.Record reports of swarms in the last week.

All this nonsense and now the Asian Hornet is in the states. Does anyone know do those hornets survive in cold climates?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    Jimbo,every colony has a 1 gal frame feeder all year.

Clyderoad, quite the opposite.The bees got ahead of me! Red maple bloom came 2-3 wks early and the (Russian based ) bees took off.The hives are overwintered in 3 med so when the top box filled with brood I brought up the bottom box .In hindsight,I should have made some splits then but I hadn't ordered Qs and very few emerged drones.
    About 3 wks ago a weak flow started with Norway maple,I had 3 boxes of sealed brood and the beginnings of swarm cells.The supers went on as a safety valve while I searched for Qs, ,made some splits and hung some swarm traps.Meanwhile the hives had consumed more than they brought in and I had to make the decision to feed before the bees started to cannibalizing brood.
    Normally in my area its about 4 wks from red maple to the flow but this year about 7wks.Apples are blooming now,pretty much on schedule.
    April was cold and wet and I am hearing rumors of frost damage on peaches and plums again this year.The foragers were frustrated and couldn't fly.Record reports of swarms in the last week.
    I've the same spring weather here.
    On maple I put a queen excluder over the brood nest and a honey super over it to capture excess or unexpected big flow. On booming colonies, it's a QE and 2 honey supers. This without reversing yet.
    When the weather turns cold+wet in late spring after a warm early spring (which it has twice in the last 5 years- a upside down spring) the bees bring the honey/wet nectar down to the brood nest from the supers. The integrity of the brood nest is maintained, contracting somewhat until a return to warmth, dryness and the flow.
    Left in that configuration the rush of fresh nectar as weather improves restarts brooding in a mostly open nest and the bees store the excess wet nectar above the QE in the supers just where it should be. May not have to reverse at all during this type of spring as the brood nest operates efficiently.
    Keeps swarming to a minimum too.

Glad to hear things are looking good now with the addition of some syrup.

Curing honey smell around most of the yards here this week. Plenty of ground moisture so hoping for a 'extended' flow and delayed dearth.

Not sure why you're going on about excluders.
    Using them in this situation early on under the supers would have helped. Bees are hard to remove from brood, and brood messes up honey supers.

Not looking forward to this weekend.

Record low temperatures possible.

This is not a drill.

Check this map for your location, and plan accordingly.

High Resolution Link:

https://imgur.com/a/REVxBCn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by username00101; 05-06-2020 at 09:58 AM.

I don't get it.

What are we planning for?

How are you planning?

Anywhere near the coast is unaffected.

I'm not scared, what is your concern?
    Just over two months ago: https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...orically-early
    Last edited by Schultz; 05-06-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schultz View Post
    I'm not scared, what is your concern?
    Just over two months ago: https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...orically-early
    What's your point?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast