Northeastern/Mid-Western Weather roller-coaster 2020.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Northeastern/Mid-Western Weather roller-coaster 2020.

Any fellow Mid-West/Northeast BK frustrated with the weather lately?

We had a very, very warm March and early April - historically mild winter, followed by this new weather pattern.

Looking at the weather forecast feels quite a bit like watching my 401K. A crappy day, a good day, several crappy days, etc etc.

There are "sayings" like April showers bring May flowers. But these days, age-old sayings seem to be inconsistent with reality. Now we just have to "hope" that we don't get a giant land-hurricane that sits over the continent for 3 days in a row...

Perhaps I'm being overly negative.
    Last edited by username00101; 04-27-2020 at 12:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Northeastern/Mid-Western Weather roller-coaster 2020.

These days it can be difficult NOT to be negative with the rules of Covid19. The weather doesnt help; me well laid apiary plans arent going as I expected thats for sure.
    Proverbs 16:24

That's farming.
    Gotta make hay while the sun is shining.

In 1905 Doolittle dealt with poor weather and wrote about it in 'A years work in an out-apiary'.
    He made hay (a 114 1/2 Lb. average) and learned a bit along the way.
    Last edited by clyderoad; 04-27-2020 at 02:58 PM.

I did read that book a few years ago, Ill have to look st it again. How are you and your family down there?

Ok thank you for asking.
    Still a hot bed here but better than a week or two ago.
    We have been able to avoid infection- we think, we also have thoughts that maybe we weren't able to and just never knew it!
    Looks like a new world on the way, whether you want it or not or whether you're ready for it or not.
    Sure glad I am a beekeeper and I have the berries, for better or worse.
    (Still have my tape measure, hammer and saws, just in case.)
    Hope you guys are good too.

Doing good so far, watching grankids, etc. 6A0CDD8B-8BA5-4091-8070-192BD1A755CF.png Here is our Public Health numbers for our County. Not so bad upstate here, the numbers are much lower. I wish the Governor would let some small businesses open like siding, some construction, etc. where distancing is easier to do. Up here most people have 2-3 jobs to keep afloat. Some dairy farmers up here (that are bigger) aren’t doing great but the smaller dairys are doing great at local farm stands, along with other locally produced products like pies, bread, eggs, honey, meats, etc. There is a business here that produces milk based products that had a big giveaway; milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, etc. It helped many families in need.
    Last edited by Cloverdale; 04-27-2020 at 04:26 PM.

That's great news, I'm happy to hear it.

I have not let the weather stop me. Sure it's still not the above average temps of earlier months but - so what.
    There are plenty of good 'bee' days, and nights. The bees are expanding rapidly, some need to be set back a second time already.
    There is wet nectar in the early supers, the bees are collecting a ton of water to thin honey/nectar for brood rearing, and crab and early apples have just popped, May is still a few days away.
    It's not so bad.
    Could turn out to be one of those gang buster years where we have to extract just to have equipment to throw back on. May have to sell bees come fall to cut back for winter , maybe move a load down south again for myself. The point is it's too early to get wound up about the weather and what it may mean for the season. I say run with it. Plenty of ground moisture this spring that's for sure.
    Queen rearing will begin later this week, first grafts this coming Saturday.

I started to load the truck with honey supers today and will finish up tomorrow and begin putting them on hives later this week, already have at least one on every production hive already. Armstrong method to load so it takes a while

20200427_115856.jpg

Don't know why picture is cockeyed, maybe mod can fix it up. Sorry
    Last edited by clyderoad; 04-27-2020 at 04:57 PM.

I split bees as soon as the rain stopped this am and dropped them off at their new yard making sure I had recovery/traction boards, and someone to call just in case. Splits look good because everyone was home when I made them Gotta role with the weather I guess.

Up & down yes, but my apples are still going to bloom on May 1st just like they always do.

Bees came out of winter looking great.Plenty of honey left.They took off with red maple bloom,very early this year.
    Supered a couple of weeks ago to try and keep ahead of them,still some honey left.
    Checked yesterday and stores are gone.Can't believe I have to feed!! I plan on slipping escapes under the supers and giving each about a 1/2 gal.No lack of pollen .Where's the flow?

With this lack of flight weather, they are acting like teenagers under quarantine; pissy and wanting to hit the trees!

FFS.

Long range forecast has temps 20F below normal. Consistently nights into the 30s through half of May!

Not good at all. This is the first Spring in years that I have had to feed my bees; they are low on pollen too.

Mine are mostly still heavy. I gave a few light ones honey from deadouts. Incredible amount of pollen coming in every day it's fit to work. A friend hived a swarm day before yesterday; I found it hard to believe but, believe it or not, there it is!

The forecast for the next 2 weeks isn't letting up.

Frost warnings all the way through the middle of May.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    The forecast for the next 2 weeks isn't letting up.

Frost warnings all the way through the middle of May.
    That is probably normal for your area. I can't see your location on mobile but used Canadensis since I know it is in the mountains. Last normal frost there is May 12.

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/fr.../zipcode/18235

Temps in Alaska will be warmer than in PA for the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    Bees came out of winter looking great.Plenty of honey left.They took off with red maple bloom,very early this year.
    Supered a couple of weeks ago to try and keep ahead of them,still some honey left.
    Checked yesterday and stores are gone.Can't believe I have to feed!! I plan on slipping escapes under the supers and giving each about a 1/2 gal.No lack of pollen .Where's the flow?

With this lack of flight weather, they are acting like teenagers under quarantine; pissy and wanting to hit the trees!
    So you're feeding with supers on?

I had 4 out of 4 deadouts this past winter. Bought 2 new nucs and installed them in 10 frame deeps about a month ago. Added a second deep a couple of weeks after that. Just put formic pro on them. Now I have to decide whether to split or put supers on very soon. I hate the idea of putting supers on formic, but I know it's acceptable. Maybe I'll split one hive and super the other???

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo3 View Post
    So you're feeding with supers on?
    he said
    I plan on slipping escapes under the supers and giving each about a 1/2 gal.No lack of pollen .Where's the flow?
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast