A Beautiful day gone terribly bad...a sad smoker story - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: A Beautiful day gone terribly bad...a sad smoker story

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Most of the pain has subsided.
    Good to hear.
    So what are you typing with? Your nose? Hunt and peck?
    Typing with all fingers...the blisters go almost to the tips, but not quite. So I have no problem typing...

Best of all, just finished my Google classroom with my students via Zoom. I didn't dare tell my students what happened...don't wanna appear dumber than usual!

I am dwelling on the brighter side of things....

Still have all my body parts although some are a bit toasted
    Doctor said I should be fine, but must watch for infections during the healing process
    Still have my truck
    I got off without a ticket or moving violation
    I got a free swim in the canal
    Lots of the boxes did survive
    Ridgid drill motor is toast but the lithium battery did not explode
    The bees survived and are living happily ever after

Last, I got first place for doing one of the dumbest things on April 27th, 2020 and I just might become famous.

Not bad for a days work!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

If you have propolis tincture or cream available, be good to periodically apply that to your burns for faster healing/infection prevention.
    I would.
    No, this is not officially FDA-approved treatment - to be sure.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

GG
    Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles
    GG, I have seen some horrific forest, auto, and house fires in my life and I just can't see myself dumping live coals out unless we are in the middle of a massive monsoon rainstorm.
    Soar, I extinguish the smoker after my last hive and during clean up. I do understand what fire can do. Live coals is one thing and I am not just dumping them in the bush. I have live grass/leafs embers and I trample them well. The trick is to dump them on dirt and make sure they are out.....
    Again get well, stay safe.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 04-28-2020 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    soar...
    I got burnt with propane from my knees down to the bottom of my feet. Spent ten days in the hospital and three months off work. Yes, I get the pain part.

Now that it is over, I do still enjoy telling the story of when my insurance called me to explain that I had like 15 free counseling sessions and I got to tell them I went out and kicked the stove and I feel better now.

That was a very pretty swarm though.

With burns, time is your friend and later will be better then now.
    Good luck
    gww

Ps I also enjoy (now) telling of when the ambulance ask if I wanted a helicopter and I ask them if they were going to give me some drugs if I went with them and they said yes and I said lets go.
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
    Typing with all fingers...the blisters go almost to the tips, but not quite. So I have no problem typing...

Best of all, just finished my Google classroom with my students via Zoom. I didn't dare tell my students what happened...don't wanna appear dumber than usual!

I am dwelling on the brighter side of things....

Still have all my body parts although some are a bit toasted
    Doctor said I should be fine, but must watch for infections during the healing process
    Still have my truck
    I got off without a ticket or moving violation
    I got a free swim in the canal
    Lots of the boxes did survive
    Ridgid drill motor is toast but the lithium battery did not explode
    The bees survived and are living happily ever after

Last, I got first place for doing one of the dumbest things on April 27th, 2020 and I just might become famous.

Not bad for a days work!

I've worked in commercial kitchens all my life and I've gotten some memorable burns over the years. That siver cream helps a lot.

soar...
    I got burnt with propane from my knees down to the bottom of my feet. Spent ten days in the hospital and three months off work. Yes, I get the pain part.

Now that it is over, I do still enjoy telling the story of when my insurance called me to explain that I had like 15 free counseling sessions and I got to tell them I went out and kicked the stove and I feel better now.

That was a very pretty swarm though.

With burns, time is your friend and later will be better then now.
    Good luck
    gww

Ps I also enjoy (now) telling of when the ambulance ask if I wanted a helicopter and I ask them if they were going to give me some drugs if I went with them and they said yes and I said lets go.
    GWW,

So sorry to hear about your burn experience! Glad you made it through it ok. My parents best friends were driving in a camper when the propane tank exploded. The gentleman had 2nd and 3rd degree burns over 60% of his body, but his wife was much worse at 80%. It took years of surgeries to get over it and they still had serious scars for the rest of their lives.

I suppose I now have a healthier respect for fire and will do my very best to exercise much greater caution in all fire related endeavors...

soar......
    I got the scars and in the days before skin grafting, I am sure the healing process would have been much longer if you did not get infection and die.

Scars don't bother me and it seems that my feet don't get as cold during deer season as they used to. Of course it could be that I don't stay on the stand as long as I used to.
    You lived through it, which is good, and I hope you heal well and fast. Good thing school is out, you wouldn't be able to hide the blisters from your students.
    Good luck
    gww

Ps
    Some with those large areas of burns like you mention are put into comas while they heal. Mine burns were not that bad.
    zone 5b

Soar - thanks for sharing your experience. I am so glad you came out of it okay. I can imagine the pucker factor as I read your story.

I travel 4 or 5 miles down the road to a bee yard with a lit smoker as well sometimes. I also Googled the galvanized bucket and realized I had one very similar that I use to clean ashes out of the fireplace. Perfect - smoker bucket during spring and summer, fireplace ashes during the winter!

gww “ Scars don't bother me” They don’t bother me either; I know as a woman that is unusual, but the stories of my life are written in thoses scars... such is life, eh?

Cloverdale
    . such is life, eh?
    Nobody would believe my story's with out the scars.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Soar:

I apologize for being late to your story- just wanted to let you know that I am sorry to hear about your misfortune, and that I appreciate your thankful attitude in the midst of it.

I also appreciate you sharing the story- while I have often considered the risk of fire with my lit smoker, I've never taken active steps to prevent it. Your post is prompting me to be proactive about this- securing a metal can for it.

Thanks again for sharing, and I sincerely hope that your healing process goes even better than anticipated.

With a sincere good will-

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

I use my smoker to push my truck around the bee yard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A story shared is a lesson for all. Thanks for the lesson.
    Ithink that we can all look back and find a mistake that turned a beautiful day into a nightmare. Let us all hope they are few and far between.
    Never ask a barber if he thinks you need a haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonhoneyfarms View Post
    Soar - thanks for sharing your experience. I am so glad you came out of it okay. I can imagine the pucker factor as I read your story.

I travel 4 or 5 miles down the road to a bee yard with a lit smoker as well sometimes. I also Googled the galvanized bucket and realized I had one very similar that I use to clean ashes out of the fireplace. Perfect - smoker bucket during spring and summer, fireplace ashes during the winter!
    Nelson, great choice on the sealed metal bucket! I don't leave home without it now...in fact, we even use it here at our ranch when working the bees. Even got in the habit of placing it in the bucket when traveling from bee yard to bee yard.

soar......
    I got the scars and in the days before skin grafting, I am sure the healing process would have been much longer if you did not get infection and die.

Scars don't bother me and it seems that my feet don't get as cold during deer season as they used to. Of course it could be that I don't stay on the stand as long as I used to.
    You lived through it, which is good, and I hope you heal well and fast. Good thing school is out, you wouldn't be able to hide the blisters from your students.
    Good luck
    gww

Ps
    Some with those large areas of burns like you mention are put into comas while they heal. Mine burns were not that bad.
    Yes, some burn victims go through hell. I served as a part time volunteer chaplain for 7 years. One day, they brought in a guy with 90% burns from a meth lab explosion. I watched that guy in and out of induced comas for 6 months as he struggled every day to live. It almost looked as if he was fighting for every breath at times. Unfortunately, he died after a 6 month struggle...he never even left the burn unit once while trying to heal up.

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Soar:

I apologize for being late to your story- just wanted to let you know that I am sorry to hear about your misfortune, and that I appreciate your thankful attitude in the midst of it.

I also appreciate you sharing the story- while I have often considered the risk of fire with my lit smoker, I've never taken active steps to prevent it. Your post is prompting me to be proactive about this- securing a metal can for it.

Thanks again for sharing, and I sincerely hope that your healing process goes even better than anticipated.

With a sincere good will-

Russ
    Russ, thank you for your post. So sorry, I just noticed it! Yes, healing process went much faster than I ever imagined. And I finally got full recovery of all the nerve endings [my finger tips were numb for a few weeks]. Please do purchase one of those sealed metal cans. It could save your life one day.

Quote Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
    Hop car, isn't that a wee bit tooooooo close to your gas tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    A story shared is a lesson for all. Thanks for the lesson.
    I think that we can all look back and find a mistake that turned a beautiful day into a nightmare. Let us all hope they are few and far between.
    Hops, yes, and I am glad to share in the hopes that others may escape such pain.

On the other hand, I have also had many days and incidences where the nightmare turned into a beautiful dream come true.

My most recent hell turned into heaven occurred at work. I was sent to the worst school in our entire District [I serve as a public school teacher in lovely California].

The students were by far the most violent, mean spirited, disrespectful bunch I have ever served and it was incredible painful on a daily basis. I had to break up fights. I wrote 100+ citations and suspended lots of students in one year [violence is an automatic suspension]. I have served at other schools where I wrote only one citation in 10 years. I wanted to give up and retire early especially after the state limited our ability to suspend students. After showing these students kindness, care, patience and tough love for two full years, there came a radical turn around. The students became kind, caring, respectful and stopped almost all of the violence. Before Covid 19 I felt like I was
    going to heaven every day. So I felt it went from a the worst hell to one of the best heavens ever!

And now, this is what I am expecting after this Covid 19 is contained. I full expect to go from hell to heaven all over again!

Cheers everyone~

Haven’t managed to set my truck on fire ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
    I gotta give you points for originality on that one. You have a great smoke screen for you getaway car.

Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
    Nelson, great choice on the sealed metal bucket! I don't leave home without it now...in fact, we even use it here at our ranch when working the bees. Even got in the habit of placing it in the bucket when traveling from bee yard to bee yard.

Yes, some burn victims go through hell. I served as a part time volunteer chaplain for 7 years. One day, they brought in a guy with 90% burns from a meth lab explosion. I watched that guy in and out of induced comas for 6 months as he struggled every day to live. It almost looked as if he was fighting for every breath at times. Unfortunately, he died after a 6 month struggle...he never even left the burn unit once while trying to heal up.

Russ, thank you for your post. So sorry, I just noticed it! Yes, healing process went much faster than I ever imagined. And I finally got full recovery of all the nerve endings [my finger tips were numb for a few weeks]. Please do purchase one of those sealed metal cans. It could save your life one day.

Hops, yes, and I am glad to share in the hopes that others may escape such pain.

On the other hand, I have also had many days and incidences where the nightmare turned into a beautiful dream come true.

My most recent hell turned into heaven occurred at work. I was sent to the worst school in our entire District [I serve as a public school teacher in lovely California].

The students were by far the most violent, mean spirited, disrespectful bunch I have ever served and it was incredible painful on a daily basis. I had to break up fights. I wrote 100+ citations and suspended lots of students in one year [violence is an automatic suspension]. I have served at other schools where I wrote only one citation in 10 years. I wanted to give up and retire early especially after the state limited our ability to suspend students. After showing these students kindness, care, patience and tough love for two full years, there came a radical turn around. The students became kind, caring, respectful and stopped almost all of the violence. Before Covid 19 I felt like I was
    going to heaven every day. So I felt it went from a the worst hell to one of the best heavens ever!

And now, this is what I am expecting after this Covid 19 is contained. I full expect to go from hell to heaven all over again!

Cheers everyone~
    Now that's the right attitude.
    Never ask a barber if he thinks you need a haircut.

I used to dump out my smoker and stomp out the fire before putting my smoker in the tool box. however, 2 years ago I got a call from my buddy. He said the woods were on fire at his place (where i keep bees). turns out I didn't stomp it out well enough and the dry grass caught aflame. burned up all my hives and equipment plus about 10 acres of forestry. thankfully it didn't spread to his shop or house before the forestry department got the plow out there.

Now i leave it lit and put it in a metal box.

Behrens 6-Gallon Galvanized Steel Trash Can with Lid
    OK that settles it. Those are nice. I'm going to be picking up two of those on my way home today, one to keep smoker fuel in and one to keep the smoker in.

Also, pick up a stick that is about 6" long and whittle one end down round so that about 1" to 1-1/2" fits into your smoker spout. Use it to cork off the smoker and the smoker will go out in half a minute. In a couple of minutes it will be too cool to re-light.
    Last edited by JConnolly; 08-03-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    Zone 6B

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast