A Beautiful day gone terribly bad...a sad smoker story - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: A Beautiful day gone terribly bad...a sad smoker story

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    OK that settles it. Those are nice. I'm going to be picking up two of those on my way home today, one to keep smoker fuel in and one to keep the smoker in.

Also, pick up a stick that is about 6" long and whittle one end down round so that about 1" to 1-1/2" fits into your smoker spout. Use it to cork off the smoker and the smoker will go out in half a minute. In a couple of minutes it will be too cool to re-light.
    Great idea Connolly!

I am using the Behrens Can every day now.

And here's a link for anyone else interested in the Behrens Galvanized Steel Can with Locking Lid 6 Gallon:

https://www.amazon.com/Behrens-6106-...6473528&sr=8-2

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Soarwitheagles - I suggest you store your smoker fuel, torch, miscellaneous tools in one of these plastic containers as set forth in the attached link. Mine is slightly different; perhaps a competing manufacturer’s product, but it also doubles as seat. It is far more comfortable to sit during inspections, when possible.

https://www.craftsman.com/products/5...atching-bucket

Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
    Great idea Connolly!

I am using the Behrens Can every day now.

And here's a link for anyone else interested in the Behrens Galvanized Steel Can with Locking Lid 6 Gallon:

https://www.amazon.com/Behrens-6106-...6473528&sr=8-2
    Yikes! It is half that price at Home Depot and Lowes.
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by JTGaraas View Post
    Soarwitheagles - I suggest you store your smoker fuel, torch, miscellaneous tools in one of these plastic containers as set forth in the attached link. Mine is slightly different; perhaps a competing manufacturer’s product, but it also doubles as seat. It is far more comfortable to sit during inspections, when possible.

https://www.craftsman.com/products/5...atching-bucket
    After being severely burned and nearly losing my truck and my life, I cannot recommend using a plastic storage container to store a lit smoker.

I sincerely believe the truck was merely seconds away from blowing sky high because the truck bed lining was burning so hot it made even my tires smoke under the wheel wells. That heat was already nearing my gas tank.

The fire started when I placed my lit smoker in the back of my truck bed and began driving to a bee yard. The smoker fell over, opened up, and spilled lit coals on our pine shavings. Then, driving 55 mph created a wind tunnel effect the quickly ignited a fire that was nearly impossible to extinguish.

The plastic home depot buckets caught fire, so did the plastic/rubberized truck bed lining, the bee boxes, the lithium battery + Ridgid drill motor.

My greatest burns occurred when I picked up the flaming home depot plastic buckets and tossed when out of the truck bed. Molten plastic on human skill is a real bummer.

Plastic and heat do not go well together.

I highly recommend using a Galvanized Steel Can with a Locking Lid.

We live in a large Eucalyptus forest and even a tiny spark could cause untold devastation not just to us, but also to neighbors. I am using the metal cans now every time without fail.

Also, I am unable to sit down when working our bees because all colonies are on bee stands...

3.jpg

The wood chips used as fuel are stored in the plastic container, not the smoker. I agree, plastic has certain attributes, but not for storage of hot smokers. I also do not worry about putting matches into the plastic container either. I agree with your safety concerns, but do not believe a metal can with cover is necessary to store my wood chips, nor will my vehicle ever be totally free of flammable items. Lighting a smoker has never been that difficult, and I never drive between three (3) apiaries with a smoker having anything in it - it is always empty, and all embers were extinguished/buried. Safety first.

Reminds me of a story of two beekeeper colleagues who were driving and people honking at them. And yelling: "Your car is on fire" "Yeah, it is OK, it is the smoker..."

No, wasn't just the smoker. The truck really was on fire...The smoker was inside an empty bee hive.

Never drive without a fire extinguisher. Not only for the safety of your truck...with all the hot and dry weather and fiddling with the smoker, the bee yard can be lit on fire quickly, too. Woods and fields are bone dry this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    Reminds me of a story of two beekeeper colleagues who were driving and people honking at them. And yelling: "Your car is on fire" "Yeah, it is OK, it is the smoker..."

No, wasn't just the smoker. The truck really was on fire...The smoker was inside an empty bee hive.

Never drive without a fire extinguisher. Not only for the safety of your truck...with all the hot and dry weather and fiddling with the smoker, the bee yard can be lit on fire quickly, too. Woods and fields are bone dry this summer.
    Ausgezeichnete Geschichte!

Vielen Dank!

Thanks to Soar and this awareness thread and the tips from JasonA and JTGarass I am now the owner of both a Behrens metal bucket and the Craftsman bucket, and my smoker now lives in the metal bucket and my smoker fuel now lives in the Craftsman bucket. I have to say I am pleased with the quality of each product for what each does.
    Zone 6B

I always try to put out my smoker before changing apiaries and it is a chore. I am glad I am sticking to the routine. Too bad to hear about your story though. Lesson re-enforced.

Soar I'm glad you have healed and still have your truck.

I store my smoker in an ammo can.
    You can place it in smoking and when you open it the next time needed you still have all the charcoal for relighting.
    And yes always have at least 1 fire extinguisher in your vehicles.
    When working hives I like having 2 in the truck.
    One under the drivers seat and another under the back seat.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123