Hello! Newbe with first questions.

Default Hello! Newbe with first questions.

Just got upgraded to beekeeper. After being a first rate helper in my teens (thirty years ago) and moving to a pleasantly rural setting last year, I jumped in this spring with two new hives from packages. Here's the details.

Screened bottoms/closed up right now
    Single deep 10 frame brood box
    Top feeder
    Italians installed on 4/11 and the queen released manually the 12th.
    Pollen patty between the BB and feeder.

They've taken 5lbs (little over 1/2 gal over the first week) of 1:1 each. Am still feeding.
    Inspected on the 17th queens laying, brood present. OAVed morning of the 18th.

Inspected this morning 4/23.

Queens good, larva, capped brood. good mixed color pollen arcs with "nectar" on edges. Capped brood was 2.5 frames on one 2 frames on the other roughly 6-8" tight patterns.

The better brood box (2.5 frames 7-8") has a closed queen cell on the lower inch of comb on a frame with brood.

Now the question... I'm guessing this colony is too young and weak to consider doing anything with this queen like a split. I have the equipment available.

Do I just remove it? Being they are not cramped is the laying queen set to swarm or was this queen started in confusion early in the install?

So 16 days would be the 28th. I know I need to do something here.

Les

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hello! Newbe with first questions.

If you still see the queen in there, then remove the cell. A package of bees do not have bees of all ages so sometimes they blame the queen for this or that and try to replace her. If you have other well established hives you can add a frame of emerging brood which will help to give just emerged bees to take care of the brood. Since you don't, then just remove the cells as they appear so long as you see the queen and she's still laying. Once some brood starts emerging, this will clear itself up most of the time.

Feeding more than they can manage efficiently with an age imbalance in the hive may help contribute to the problem. You might try cutting back a little bit on the amount feed per week.

You should give your location in your profile so we can answer more correctly knowing your location and environment. Advice for the Southern states may not be compatible with advice for Northern territory.