Split opportunity?
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Darlington, SC
    Posts
    381

    Default Split opportunity?

    So on April 10th, I found that double deep that was previously jammed and queen right, was now queenless and had about half the bee's. I of course suspect it swarmed. I immediately gave it a frame of eggs and brood and a week later found queen cells. Since them, I decided i didn't want to take the chance and ordered mated queen which will arrive tomorrow.

    Simple question, should I split this hive giving the new queen to the queen cell less box? I know this sounds like a no brainier, but i am just making sure I haven't missed anything with my thought process

    If I do this, I would do a two queen setup so that they would work together to rebuild

    Wayne

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,789

    Default Re: Split opportunity?

    Started QCs, high probability of rejection.
    How can you be sure there isn't a virgin in the works? Paranoid me would start the bought in a separate nuc and give it more time.
    You do not really know when the swarm departed and where in the virgin calendar you are?
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Darlington, SC
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Split opportunity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Started QCs, high probability of rejection.
    How can you be sure there isn't a virgin in the works? Paranoid me would start the bought in a separate nuc and give it more time.
    You do not really know when the swarm departed and where in the virgin calendar you are?
    I could do that too, same result. I have one production hive that already has a second super on it that could spare three frames

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,589

    Default

    I would take a few frames of open brood with bees from your other hives. Make sure you don't have the queen on one of those frames.
    Introduce the purchased queen.
    Now you have a colony you can use to requeen the hive in case the queen they raise is a dud.

    You can do this on the same hive stand if you have a double screen. Put the new queen above the hive that is raising the new queen.

    You'll have this:
    Bottom box raising new queen. Queen excluder if you use them. Honey super. Double screen with entrance facing back. Hive box with purchased queen and frames of brood and a little honey.

    Then you can keep the queen you like and pinch the one you don't. Combine back in to one hive.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Darlington, SC
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Split opportunity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    I would take a few frames of open brood with bees from your other hives. Make sure you don't have the queen on one of those frames.
    Introduce the purchased queen.
    Now you have a colony you can use to requeen the hive in case the queen they raise is a dud.

    You can do this on the same hive stand if you have a double screen. Put the new queen above the hive that is raising the new queen.

    You'll have this:
    Bottom box raising new queen. Queen excluder if you use them. Honey super. Double screen with entrance facing back. Hive box with purchased queen and frames of brood and a little honey.

    Then you can keep the queen you like and pinch the one you don't. Combine back in to one hive.
    Thats why I asked what I thought was a no brainier question. Two more excellent solutions. i think I like the Nuc option, More versatility

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,589

    Default

    Nucs are really handy to have. Lots of uses for them.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Darlington, SC
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Split opportunity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    Nucs are really handy to have. Lots of uses for them.
    Yes indeed. I strive to have equal numbers of nuc's and regular hives. Just didn't consider this opportunity but will take it

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •