Split opportunity?

Default Split opportunity?

So on April 10th, I found that double deep that was previously jammed and queen right, was now queenless and had about half the bee's. I of course suspect it swarmed. I immediately gave it a frame of eggs and brood and a week later found queen cells. Since them, I decided i didn't want to take the chance and ordered mated queen which will arrive tomorrow.

Simple question, should I split this hive giving the new queen to the queen cell less box? I know this sounds like a no brainier, but i am just making sure I haven't missed anything with my thought process

If I do this, I would do a two queen setup so that they would work together to rebuild

Wayne

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Split opportunity?

Started QCs, high probability of rejection.
    How can you be sure there isn't a virgin in the works? Paranoid me would start the bought in a separate nuc and give it more time.
    You do not really know when the swarm departed and where in the virgin calendar you are?
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Started QCs, high probability of rejection.
    How can you be sure there isn't a virgin in the works? Paranoid me would start the bought in a separate nuc and give it more time.
    You do not really know when the swarm departed and where in the virgin calendar you are?
    I could do that too, same result. I have one production hive that already has a second super on it that could spare three frames

I would take a few frames of open brood with bees from your other hives. Make sure you don't have the queen on one of those frames.
    Introduce the purchased queen.
    Now you have a colony you can use to requeen the hive in case the queen they raise is a dud.

You can do this on the same hive stand if you have a double screen. Put the new queen above the hive that is raising the new queen.

You'll have this:
    Bottom box raising new queen. Queen excluder if you use them. Honey super. Double screen with entrance facing back. Hive box with purchased queen and frames of brood and a little honey.

Then you can keep the queen you like and pinch the one you don't. Combine back in to one hive.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    I would take a few frames of open brood with bees from your other hives. Make sure you don't have the queen on one of those frames.
    Introduce the purchased queen.
    Now you have a colony you can use to requeen the hive in case the queen they raise is a dud.

You can do this on the same hive stand if you have a double screen. Put the new queen above the hive that is raising the new queen.

You'll have this:
    Bottom box raising new queen. Queen excluder if you use them. Honey super. Double screen with entrance facing back. Hive box with purchased queen and frames of brood and a little honey.

Then you can keep the queen you like and pinch the one you don't. Combine back in to one hive.
    Thats why I asked what I thought was a no brainier question. Two more excellent solutions. i think I like the Nuc option, More versatility

Nucs are really handy to have. Lots of uses for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    Nucs are really handy to have. Lots of uses for them.
    Yes indeed. I strive to have equal numbers of nuc's and regular hives. Just didn't consider this opportunity but will take it