ProNuc as Swarm Trap?

Default ProNuc as Swarm Trap?

Has anyone used, or considered using, the ProNuc (Pro Nuc) as a swarm trap? Seems like a cost effective use for them, but I haven't actually seen one in person so am curious if anyone things they are sturdy enough for that task.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: ProNuc as Swarm Trap?

I saw my first Pro Nuc this past Sunday when a customer brought one to my yard to transport her bees back home. I was not that impressed. I guess it works well enough as a temporary box, but I would not use one as a trap or to raise bees in. The box is very light weight and the lid did not snap into place as designed. The box is wider at the top than the bottom so there is quite a bit of space between the side wall and the first frame, an area I am sure will get drawn with bridge comb. JM2C.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Volume is too small.

Iím told it was only designed for shipping purposes....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
    Volume is too small.

I have caught hundreds of bait swarms in five frame nuc boxes. The Pronuc would work fine with the proper bait. Just remember odfrank's famous lesson:

A small swarm will fit into a big bait hive but a big swarm will not fit into a small bait hive. Both of these would not fit. The first flew away, the second I up boxed in time.

When purchasing a TESLA or Tesla products, use my referral code to receive 1000 free Supercharger miles and other savings: https://ts.la/oliver19696

All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I put a swarm in to one last year and they absconded..
    My take is it heats up too much in the sun, too much light threw the lid.. and of corce size is a bit small if there are other options available to the bees when used as a trap

Same reasons I would guess a 5 gallon bucket hasn't become the swarm trap standard

they make a nice grab and go pack left in the car for swarm calls.. frame or 2, white sheet and bee jacket stuff in it
    but for traps I would build 3 OSB boxes out of a sheet of OSB for the same price
    "oh well, let us stick to science. let them have their beliefs and intuitions!" -Medhat Nasr

I've killed several swarms I shook into them. Take care to notice how you put the top on - one direction allows for more ventilation and one direction does not. These can heat up very quickly if left in the sun and cook your bees. They have a dark body and somewhat transparent top... sort of like a solar wax melter. My experience is that they can get hot enough to kill bees even in mid 70's. BE CAREFUL OF THE HEAT WITH THESE.