Wax buildup over cells

Default Wax buildup over cells

This is my second try, and it's not going so well. Aside from the awful take rate, the bees are building up comb over/around the queen cells that do take. Are these cells viable? How do I avoid this issue? I have been limiting sugar syrup to 1 cup / day. Thanks

IMG_2771.jpgIMG_2772.jpgIMG_2773.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wax buildup over cells

I had the same results when I first started grafting so your first picture was a dead giveaway.
    Your grafting frame is too wide,giving the bees too much empty space on the sides.
    Run it through a table saw to trim down the sides to the width of the top bar or make a new frame about 1 in wide.Picture a Q cell with a "bee space" on either side to the adjacent comb.
    If you are on a flow you don't need to feed if you have plenty of open cells with nectar and pollen in the cell starter.It also may help if you include a frame of foundation a few frames over from the grafts so the wax builders have something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    I had the same results when I first started grafting so your first picture was a dead giveaway.
    Your grafting frame is too wide,giving the bees too much empty space on the sides.
    Run it through a table saw to trim down the sides to the width of the top bar or make a new frame about 1 in wide.Picture a Q cell with a "bee space" on either side to the adjacent comb.
    If you are on a flow you don't need to feed if you have plenty of open cells with nectar and pollen in the cell starter.It also may help if you include a frame of foundation a few frames over from the grafts so the wax builders have something to do.
    Thanks Jack;

Good thinking I will be cutting down my cell starter frame or making a skinnier one from scratch. From the OP's pics those look like drone cells. Having some other place in the hive for drone construction should help too.
    Frank

I had that happen for 1 batch last year out of all the batches I did. I assumed it had more to do with having a strong flow, like was mentioned in the video, than anything.

Thank you for this advice! I knew there had to be a catch when I decided to use a regular frame instead of buying a fancy dancy queen rearing frame .

Thanks to all for their thoughts.