When to remove grafted queen cells?

Default When to remove grafted queen cells?

I am attempting my first try at grafting queen cells. I grafted on Monday, April 6th about 21 cells, and placed in strong hive above a queen excluder.
    Unfortunately, the weather is not cooperating with my plans next week to remove the capped cells on the 15th. The forecast is to be in the mid 50's on that day. It won't get to the 60's until the 18th. Would it be advisable to remove the not yet capped cells on the 11th, which would be day 6, or take a chance and remove them on the 18th, which would be day 13 after grafting? My hive are located in southern Indiana, near Louisville. Thank you for any
    advice or suggestions. Mary

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: When to remove grafted queen cells?

Quote Originally Posted by drmimiky View Post
    I am attempting my first try at grafting queen cells. I grafted on Monday, April 6th about 21 cells, and placed in strong hive above a queen excluder.
    Unfortunately, the weather is not cooperating with my plans next week to remove the capped cells on the 15th. The forecast is to be in the mid 50's on that day. It won't get to the 60's until the 18th. Would it be advisable to remove the not yet capped cells on the 11th, which would be day 6, or take a chance and remove them on the 18th, which would be day 13 after grafting? My hive are located in southern Indiana, near Louisville. Thank you for any
    advice or suggestions. Mary
    if you grafted 2 day larvae, and the queens hatch in 16 days the the 6Th + 9 is the 15th... so on with your statement.
    so YOUR choice is to go with the 15 and 50 degrees or the 18th and maybe have a few queen running around.
    you offer 2 choices there are several.
    remember the weather is a "prediction" we do not know for sure what will happen 9 days out.
    Also IMO they would be capped on/near the 11th as they cap at 8 days.
    IMO pick the warmest day from the 11th to the 15th and go somewhat fast to not chill them. I hate catching virgins.
    As well you likely would not need 21 mating NUCs, this early perhaps not 100% take, give the frame a lift on the 10th-11th and see what you have, Make a plan and go for it.

if you are good at catching queens..... could wait.
    Could also pull the frame squish them and count it as a dry run.
    there is the whole incubator thingy as well.

Decisions decisions. Sorry I was not more helpful you likely have the same thoughts.
    Have fun
    GG

celltimeing.jpg
    Here is a screenshot of my "cheat sheet" for a 4/7 batch of grafts, back everything up one day for yours

For the most part, people talk in "days" of cell age, post graft/split as they aren't running timing boxes, that's starting to shift a bit.. but anyway in days post graft...
    I have moves cells at 48 hours and placed in nucs and moved cells at 5 days(they haven't hit the sensitive pupa stage yet) I have very, very gently moved cells at 7 days a short distance to the incubator when I missed moving them at 5 days due to weather and of course as you know the standard for many is to move them at 10 days post graft

So yes you could move cells tomorrow, another option would be caging the capped cells and you can pull the virgins out at your leisure
    "oh well, let us stick to science. let them have their beliefs and intuitions!" -Medhat Nasr

I caged all mine last year and released virgins, just so I knew there was a queen in the mating nuc and didn't have to wander if a queen emerged in the mating nuc or not. I'm new at raising queens and had some cells not emerge after placing in the nucs. Then had to do something with a 2 week old queen less mating nuc. It was just easier for me that way. I knew how many virgins I had and therefore I knew how many mating nucs I needed.

Learned a lot too. I could NOT release virgins in 2-4 frame nucs with lots of bees that had not been queen less for at least 24 hours. Lost 2 virgins learning that lesson. Small mini nucs are more excepting to virgins earlier.

Whatever you decide. Good luck.

Oh yeah. I use the Nicot grafting cups and cup holders so I can just slip the roller cages on the cells once they are capped. That makes my way a lot easier also.
    Andy