Trapping 2020 - success rate? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Trapping 2020 - success rate?

So caught four of my own swarms and one in a trap given to a friend. Things got hopping here two weeks ago and haven't let up yet. Talked someone into getting a hive and starting beekeeping so that's a plus too. Setting a trap out for feral bees next week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

1/8.
    The back porch delivers 3 years in a row.
    20200530_152532.jpg

Also found scouts at four other locations.

PS: for the record, I don't count 2 swarms I took of the trees this season so far;
    those were not technically trapped.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

3 swarms so far caught, but all out of my own nucs and none in traps. In fact they were not even scouting any of my traps. None very large so all went into 5-frame nucs.
    Yesterday afternoon my wife woke me up to tell me the bees were swarming. They separated into 2 clumps about 5 feet apart in my peach trees. One I shook into a box. The other was wrapped around the trunk so I used a paint brush and brushed them into a plastic bag. Seemed to work well, the bees are staying put in their nucs. So I believe the queens went in the nucs, probably virgins.

My back yard is getting busy. From 3 to 5 to now 8. Less than two weeks.

Greg, great news! So this year so far you are 2 captured and 1 trapped, scouts at multiple locations. That is a pretty stong comeback. More so because you are not capturing your own swarms.

I like capturing my own too, I look at them as splits where the bees decided who goes and who stays. No problem with the foragers returning to the parent hive.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

7/10 so far. Best year ever!

I had two side by side 5 frame traps. On 5/22 one had caught a queen and ten workers. On 5/30 both traps had about three frames of bees. So I wonder if half of the 2nd swarm into the empty trap joined the lonely queen or if new swarms came into each box?
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I had two side by side 5 frame traps. On 5/22 one had caught a queen and ten workers. On 5/30 both traps had about three frames of bees. So I wonder if half of the 2nd swarm into the empty trap joined the lonely queen or if new swarms came into each box?
    Wow; now that is some nano-swarm.
    Never heard or seen anything that tiny.
    At least a cup of bees has to be there to qualify it a "swarm".

Maybe some queen got confused during a mating flight and came back to a wrong hive.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

See this 2012 thread where Charlie B challenged to out baithive me:

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...hive+challenge
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Well, almost 2/8.
    Almost, because the swarm not done entering the trap just yet.
    By about 15:30 CST should be 2/8.
    The backyard was hit again.

Gregv,

Great! Did you get to watch it approach the trap? Any pictures? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    Gregv,

Great! Did you get to watch it approach the trap? Any pictures? :-)
    2/8 it is.
    Same old spot on the same old porch (different bait unit today from the unit used on May 30th).
    Today is hot and humid, and right away in the morning I knew something was developing - you could tell by the scout activity.
    So it happens with the backyard trapping, I got to watch every single time a swarm landed.
    In fact, entire family is getting used to this annual swarm landing show.
    My daughter made up some TikTok videos about the swarm landing this time around so to boost her ratings.
    20200602_152758.jpg

Consistently, they ALWAYS take exact same spot on my porch no matter how many choices I have offered.
    This season I offer four different choices on the backyard - does not matter.
    They select the same spot every single time.
    Last edited by GregV; Yesterday at 02:54 PM.

We are on to something here. Those porches with wood railings are hot trapping grounds.

https://youtu.be/A_ELPJHPeZE

So I got this empty 16-frame long hive standing; smells delicious, has old frames inside but it is big.
    Gets some so-so interest only.
    One on the left.
    Maybe it is too big indeed.
    20200602_131931.jpg

Have this 40-50L trap standing just between the hives above.
    Has enough interest but never enough to score a swarm.
    One in the middle (pic above).

Have this 40-50L trap standing like so on the porch.
    This is the trap hive where swarm moved into on May 30th (has to be smelling very fresh; I re-hived the bees out of on Sunday).
    This porch location has enough interest and still not enough to score.
    20200602_164931.jpg

All because this particular spot (pictured below) the bees find irresistible and always select.
    On May 30th I observed some significant conflict between the three smaller traps, but this spot won in the end.
    Today this spot just won over the others, hands down; not much competition.
    Maybe the railings create just enough obstacle to remind the bees forest or something.

This spot has been scoring me swarms every year so far since I realized I didn't need to drive far and wide.
    Well, still drive around, but much less. LOL
    20200602_164833.jpg

All within a small suburban backyard.

So far, I can also say, these 40-50L traps attract much more attention vs. the large empty long hive.
    Pretty much the case in my lab.
    Last edited by GregV; Yesterday at 04:36 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123