Cold Weather Pkg. Introduction

Default Cold Weather Pkg. Introduction

I have some pkgs to put in the end of the weekend. Cold spell starting on Sunday through next week. I've put them in in the cold before and been ok but this one looks nasty. I do have drawn comb and a couple frames of honey for each box- 20's and 30's scare me though. May keep them in the garage and pick the warmest day. What do you think?
    Jerry

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cold Weather Pkg. Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Swarmhunter View Post
    I have some pkgs to put in the end of the weekend. Cold spell starting on Sunday through next week. I've put them in in the cold before and been ok but this one looks nasty. I do have drawn comb and a couple frames of honey for each box- 20's and 30's scare me though. May keep them in the garage and pick the warmest day. What do you think?
    Jerry
    Do you have a mid sized tent? set up the tent and if possible a heat source, a couple light bulbs set in a metal pail works. let the tent get 15 degrees warmer than the outside 45-50 will help. Set up,, hive them, put one of the honey frames in like the 3rd frame position, be nice if the cluster they make is in contact with honey. I have put a package in A NUC many times so they will be like 4 good frames of bees. leave the heat source for over night. next day remove the heat source. that time will allow the bees to recluster around the cadged queen and set up in the comb. mid afternoon of the next day take the tent down. Have someone pull the tent out from under the hive while you lift. Perhaps wrap and set some foam on top for heat retention. I am not a fan of leaving them in the packages for more than a few hours once I pick them up.
    I generally MacGyver a way to get er done.
    could do it in the Garage, barn , shed etc..
    Do place them in the final spot with in 36 hours.
    In a pinch you may need to wait, give them water somehow, a wet sponge braced against the screen may work.
    Day or 2 is not an issue, remember they have been in the cage for 2-4 days already.

Good luck
    GG

There is a post containing the closest thing to a side by side comparison of immediate and waited installation, have not dragged it up for this year. In a multiple hive staggered install all hive made it. The packages stored in side and fed with syrup on the side did better than the install in the cold after a month or so.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

I have two packages I installed in the Mann Lake cardboard NUCs about a week ago. The NUCS have screened venting on either side. Last night I covered one vent with paper for warmth.

I would think that you could cover the hive with something to create a dead space for air?

With a tip of the hat to Astrobee;

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...nstall-Results
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.