Thinking About Long Langstroth - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Thinking About Long Langstroth

I say everyone should just look how this (not very young) Ukrainian lady is running her 100+ long hives (I thought 50 initially - wrong).
    She just does it with no fuss, no IFs, and no BUTs.

Maybe there is something to learn from her.

Her channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYA...0dko5Rw/videos

For example, she is harvesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa4I8lHkZD0
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I say everyone should just look how this (not very young) Ukrainian lady is running her 100+ long hives (I thought 50 initially - wrong).
    She just does it with no fuss, no IFs, and no BUTs.

Maybe there is something to learn from her.

For example, she is harvesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa4I8lHkZD0
    Interesting video Greg, thanks. I wasn't able to access subtitles/translation (kept being asked to sign-up to something) so - if you're able to - could you explain about her smoker - which doesn't appear to produce any smoke ...

As I thought - it looks like a frame-grabber is the way to go if pulling frames from the side. Really must get one.
    'best,
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Interesting video Greg, thanks. I wasn't able to access subtitles/translation (kept being asked to sign-up to something) so - if you're able to - could you explain about her smoker - which doesn't appear to produce any smoke ...

As I thought - it looks like a frame-grabber is the way to go if pulling frames from the side. Really must get one.
    'best,
    LJ
    Unfortunately, there are no English subs; too bad.
    But those willing to see things - will see what they need.

About the smoke, incidentally she even has dedicated episodes about her smoker-technology.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V362Vi10Cg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j1NSaKHanc

Overall her bees are pretty mild - some local Ukrainian A.m.macedonica mix.
    Probably half-dead smoker is still enough many times for her.
    She never complains of the bees being defensive.

Overall, if the Ukrainian babushka can do the long hives - anyone can.
    She produces some tons of honey every year too, nothing to sneeze at - 120/130kg of honey per a wintered colony is reported.
    So this is a pretty intensely managed long-hive business.

On the other hand - here a case for you when the owner sees his bees exactly twice per a year - spring and fall.
    It is a long drive to see his bees more often.
    Set it and forget it.
    All thanks to the long hives.
    English subs are available.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj8taUKQYww
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JymG_Y10q8Y

PS: I suspect the "twice-per-year" owner lately gave up this project - really was a very long drive for him and he sounded as getting tired of the project (per my tracking of him);
    just clarifying because the videos are a bit older.
    Last edited by GregV; 04-10-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

The main reason for using traditional frames would be the ease of extracting and being able to put them in you extractor , how are people like the Ukrainian lady extracting there honey with dadant deep frames or if i went with two mediums fastened together ,it would be a bugger taking them apart and putting them back together

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    The main reason for using traditional frames would be the ease of extracting and being able to put them in you extractor , how are people like the Ukrainian lady extracting there honey with dadant deep frames or if i went with two mediums fastened together ,it would be a bugger taking them apart and putting them back together
    Dadant frames are the standard in Ukraine - hence the extractors handle those just fine.
    With Langs you zip tie one medium under the other; if need to extract - cut the zips; then zip back together.
    Some hassle - yes.
    But zip/unzip beats the metal hardware.

thanks for the info Greg , have you seen any good plans for a long lang that has most of the problems figured out

I'm in central B.C. Canada, we get -40 here, and sometimes a crap ton of snow. I have three lang hives that can get 5-6 supers high in the summer. I try and keep the deeps for brood and mediums for honey. This past year I have Kona queens, and going into fall the colonies were huge. I left them in 2 deeps or a deep and two meds and wrapped them a bunch of flooring underlay I had. Left them with a lot of honey as well.
    So far, the colonies are still very big. One has covered brood and they're just starting to find pollen and bring it back. (Still a lot of snow here, but finally staying above freezing all day). My backyard it all hillside, and not real great for packing stuff up and down. To unstack and restack boxes when inspecting or mite treating is a p.i.t.a.

Over the winter I built a couple fully insulated long hives 32 deep frames long, can take medium supers on top, still close the hinged lid. I won't have to pack tools, I can leave them in the hives along with extra frames. If I do have to move a super, I can stack it on the hive. Using cover boards, only uncover a couple frames at a time, instead of 60,000 raging bees from open boxes set in the dirt and grass. My hives are where they are going to be. Should I feel the need to move a long hive, I'll pick it up with my tractor loader and move it. No more insulating the hives in winter and they should be easier for the bees to regulate in summer. I can make splits and nucs in the same box. Cut a piece of coroplast to make dividers, glue a piece of styrofoam to one to make a insulated follower. No more bending over to lift heavy boxes. Regular queen excluders can be used under a honey super, and I'll happily cut a couple up to keep the queen in one end. I have two kinds of feeders, the large one that goes on top like a super, and the drop in ones that take the place of a couple frames. Both will work and be way easier to get at. Honey frames can be picked out a few at a time and go in a box in my loader. I don't have to take entire supers, just the frames I want.

As far as wintering, yes, ideally a deeper frame. But my 10 frame extractor takes med, and deeps. And that major investment dictates frame size. The hives walls are 1.5" styrofoam between 3/8" ply. The roofs have 1"styrofoam and I'll either use Refectix, or make a burlap/wood shavings quilt for over the frames.

This time next year we'll find out if it was a good idea...
    IMG_20200317_195443.jpg

cariboo very interesting do you have more pics showing the long lang with supers on etc.

Yep, I'm not a carpenter, and I couldn't find any plans for exactly what I wanted to do, so I figured it out as I went. IMG_20200109_175123.jpgIMG_20200120_173426.jpgIMG_20200111_093732.jpgIMG_20200120_173538.jpg
    I made a couple little screen cones to put in the vent holes. Hopefully they will let any trapped bees out, and nothing will find its way in...IMG_20200206_201915.jpg

I never expected to get this much information, opinions, and advice from my simple question about starting beekeeping with a long Langstroth. I genuinely apppreciate everyone's input. As is my nature, I am spending way too much time analyzing the information, doing AutoCad drawings, and trying to come to a decision.

Since I last wrote, I took an introductory course in beekeeping from North Carolina State University. Very well done course that I'd recommend to someone who wants a cursory introduction.

I'm working some drawings that I'd like to post and get your opinions. More later ...

Quote Originally Posted by siskosdad View Post
    I never expected to get this much information, opinions, and advice from my simple question about starting beekeeping with a long Langstroth. I genuinely apppreciate everyone's input. As is my nature, I am spending way too much time analyzing the information, doing AutoCad drawings, and trying to come to a decision.

Since I last wrote, I took an introductory course in beekeeping from North Carolina State University. Very well done course that I'd recommend to someone who wants a cursory introduction.

I'm working some drawings that I'd like to post and get your opinions. More later ...
    Decisions are over rated it is the journey to get there that is the fun. once you decide the work starts

Have fun let us know what you decide.

Did you get a chance to look at the plan from Dr Leo? https://horizontalhive.com/how-to-bu...ong-hive.shtml
    I have a couple, Interesting process to get them up and running.

GG

I have been meditating on other hive configurations besides deep and medium Langs. Weight issues are becoming more of an issue for me. Certainly there are ways to get it done by removing half the frames into another box etc., but I dont find that really appealing. I have looked at the really deep frames to enhance winter survival with a single depth system but as mentioned the "no fit in extractor" issue is real. Of course you really do not have to extract brood frames if you are doing some manner of smaller honey frames. I find that the ends of my frames are not used to much advantage. They seldom get fully drawn out till the second season and then tend to fill with honey not utilized and too crystallized to extract. Permanent insulation would probably reduce that effect. The good part is they are standard with what most other people have and easy to buy.

I have two ten frame Dadant hives just about ready to populate as single box brood chambers. I want to see how the bees draw out and utilize the deeper frames in my cold climate short season. A couple of colonies is nothing but the extra expense and inconvenience of getting ready made frames, boxes, foundations in Dadant depth would be pretty major if you were thinking of many colonies. What Fusion_power has undertaken with his conversion to this has been a huge project.

The setup Cariboospeed has with permanent insulation is quite enticing. I never look forward to the fall preps and spring removal and storage. Every year I promise to standardize the wrapping and get more efficient; hasn't happened yet.

I guess I am putting off standardizing because I still have ideas I want to explore. Ya, that sounds like a good rationale. It has been a good hobby!
    Frank

Here are a couple long hives I recently completed and added bees over the weekend. The one with 2 entrances is essentially modified Layens hive that accepts 2 vertical medium Langstroth size frames. I didn't take a picture of the actual frames, but I will get one tomorrow and explain the how I built the frames. It can hold 22 frames (44 mediums) and can operate as a single or dual hive. The other long hive is a double deep Lang that can hold 32 double frames (64 deeps) and can be divided into 3 hives if I choose. Now, I have been keeping bees for several years and have other standard Lang hives and have no intention of getting rid of those. The long hives are sort of a hobby within a hobby. I would agree that if just starting out, begin with your standard Lang hive, reasons have already been noted in other posts so I won't rehash those. I will start another thread to keep a log of how the long hives perform. If anyone is interested, I have a 3D model of both of these hives I can share.

Langstroth2.jpgLangstroth1.jpg
    Layens1.jpgLayens2.jpg
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by WaverlyBees View Post
    I will start another thread to keep a log of how the long hives perform. If anyone is interested,
    Always interesting, and may be valuable. Must say I do like your style of roof !
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I'm leaning toward a long Langstroth for the simple idea that it seems like it would be easier to work. The older I get the more I like the idea of less heavy things to lift.

I like the idea of what may be described as a modified long Langstroth. I hope this works ... I'm looking at building what is essentially a triple-long 8 frame - ending up with 24 deep frames for the brood box. Over that, I plan to place 3 standard 8 frame shallow honey supers. If want to use a triple-long standard bottom with only one entrance and three standard 8-frame inner covers. I'm inclined to use a standard telescoping top but may add a simple gable roof for esthetics.

Again, opinions, comments, and advice is welcomed.

.......... I'm inclined to use a standard telescoping top ........
    Standard telescoping over the "24 deep frames for the brood box" will be very uncomfortable to operate.
    Too long to be ergonomic.
    Unless you take special care to make the roof very, very light (the light tops have their own issues too).
    Consider the hinges.

I do have telescoping tops but only over 16-20 frames (see my avatar).

Quote Originally Posted by WaverlyBees View Post
    Here are a couple long hives .......
    Nice!

I'm leaning toward a long Langstroth for the simple idea that it seems like it would be easier to work. The older I get the more I like the idea of less heavy things to lift.

I like the idea of what may be described as a modified long Langstroth. I hope this works ... I'm looking at building what is essentially a triple-long 8 frame - ending up with 24 deep frames for the brood box. Over that, I plan to place 3 standard 8 frame shallow honey supers. If want to use a triple-long standard bottom with only one entrance and three standard 8-frame inner covers. I'm inclined to use a standard telescoping top but may add a simple gable roof for esthetics.

Keep your options open; install three entrances. You can keep the unused ones closed but If you want to make one section queenless to raise queens or start a nuc colony or run two queens you have the means to do so. A snip from Cariboospeed post <I can make splits and nucs in the same box. Cut a piece of coroplast to make dividers, glue a piece of styrofoam to one to make a insulated follower.>
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Keep your options open; install three entrances. You can keep the unused ones closed but If you want to make one section queenless to raise queens or start a nuc colony or run two queens you have the means to do so. A snip from Cariboospeed post <I can make splits and nucs in the same box. Cut a piece of coroplast to make dividers, glue a piece of styrofoam to one to make a insulated follower.>
    Good idea. I've thought about providing three entrances but it was pointed out that might be too much space to keep open. I like the idea of making the openings available but with the ability to block them off when not needed and of using a follower board to reduce the hive size when needed or wanted.

I have some 3/4" PVC sheets that a friend of mine gave me and I'm wondering if they would be appropriate for a hive. They would be completely rot-proof but I am concerned about using that much plastic around the bees. What do y'all think?

If want to use a triple-long standard bottom with only one entrance and three standard 8-frame inner covers. I'm inclined to use a standard telescoping top but may add a simple gable roof for esthetics.

I thought about that, but for my situation, anything I remove and put on the ground will tumble away down hill. So I made the lid that will hinge over the added supers, (should I use them).IMG_20200111_093732.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast