Did I lose a swarm?

Default Did I lose a swarm?

Hi all,

A similar question is posted in new beekeepers, with apologies. I accidentally found bees in a trap (having seen no activity), but very few bees, with the only comb as shown in the linked photo.

Even at night, there are maybe 10-20 bees in the hive. What may have happened, and is this brood?
    Thanks much

http://myweb.ttu.edu/pmarten/PM-Bees.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Did I lose a swarm?

Yes, you lost whatever swarm had moved in, although i suspect it was very small. On the side showing, eggs are clearly visible. The black spots are dead larvae that had already hatched on the backside of that bit of comb and are now dried up. I would not worry about it unless there is something about the trap that made them find better accommodations.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thanks for the reply; will the presence of this little comb and few bees deter another swarm from moving in during the next couple of weeks?

Not in my opinion. In fact the comb will help a little. With the queen gone, any remaining bees will join the new swarm or die off.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.