How to know when my feed reserves are enough?

Default How to know when my feed reserves are enough?

Dear all,
    maybe a very basic question but I do not know how to estimate if feed reserves are sufficient or I need to feed (according to the hive population). I mean, how many syrup / honey frames should I have per frame covered of bees? If I have 4 frames of bees, how many frames of honey/syrup should I have, and what about if I have 7 frames of bees?
    I hope you guys could give me an answer.
    Have a good one and stay healthy!!
    F.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How to know when my feed reserves are enough?

Good question. I don't necessarily know the right answer but I can tell you what I did this winter as a 1st year overly paranoid helicopter beekeeper. I'm near Vancouver, B.C. area 8a and my girls stopped bringing forage in around mid-late October. Right around then I'd feed 1 gallon of 2:1 syrup until they pretty much stopped taking it, which amounted to about 6 gallons (65-70lbs of weight in feed). They mostly filled the honey super and medium upper brood box with the cluster in the bottom deep brooder for winter. They still had most of the honey in the upper super at the end of February but they'd consumed most of the medium brooder and the queen was already laying well by then. I need to go in this week as our weather is hitting a 10 day warm spell that should kick things in here so I need to make sure they still have food to grow and room to grow. I run 8 frame hives with a bottom deep-upper medium brood boxes and a deep honey super, but I'm thinking of going to medium honey supers this year. Hope that helps. Short answer - 50-60lbs for an average hive should be plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by lappe001 View Post
    Dear all,
    maybe a very basic question but I do not know how to estimate if feed reserves are sufficient or I need to feed (according to the hive population). I mean, how many syrup / honey frames should I have per frame covered of bees? If I have 4 frames of bees, how many frames of honey/syrup should I have, and what about if I have 7 frames of bees?
    I hope you guys could give me an answer.
    Have a good one and stay healthy!!
    F.
    Are you asking for now today in Mexico or asking in general for fall? location is very important, as well the time of the year. I would think today in Mexico they are foraging. So also you should try to determine the local conditions, flow or not etc.

GG

Hello! Well I'm asking for times when bees do not forage and I have to feed (july-august or october - january). I do not know when to stop feeding. When bees forage I do not worry about feed. I was thinking maybe a frame of honey per 5 frames of bees, same thing with pollen.... ?