How soon can I introduce new queen

Default How soon can I introduce new queen

I have a hive that just doesnít seem right. If I kill the queen, how soon can I introduce a mated caged queen from one of my resource Nucs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm. Pinch the poor queen. Newspaper combine the entire nuc. Split a new nuc off later from this one. So it is as fast as you can get the work done. Should be no issue as the queen is laying and accepted already. Come back in a week to organize everything if needed.

Default Re: How soon can I introduce new queen

Quote Originally Posted by BurleyBee View Post
    I have a hive that just doesn’t seem right.
    What doesn't seem right?
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Had issues with mites in the summer and has been up and down ever since. Brood pattern is a bit spotty. The queen herself just moves sluggishly. I reckon it could be ok, but I’m still new and just unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by BurleyBee View Post
    Had issues with mites in the summer and has been up and down ever since. Brood pattern is a bit spotty. The queen herself just moves sluggishly. I reckon it could be ok, but I’m still new and just unsure.
    Well
    1)why would you cadge and introduce?, Kill the unwanted Queen, and newspaper combine. Catch, stop , start, too much room for other issues.
    2) You need to resolve the mite issue, first IMO

BurleyBee, you should probably post a few pictures of what you think is wrong. Let some experienced folks take a look. No point in pinching a queen if you don't need to.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I just killed a queen, and took a laying queen out of a mating nuc, and put it in a jdbz cage with a couple workers and put it in 5 minutes later. I think it'll be allright.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper 2nd yr 14 hives
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Iím not familiar with newspaper way, but researched and it sounds like I would leave my resource Nuc on hive. Iím wanting my resource to requeen itself when I take queen away. Should have taken pictures of frames. Iíve just read some say not to introduce queen right away after pinching. I figured I could give hive an hour to realize itís queenless then introduce new queen in a candy cage; giving hive time to accept her. Like I said...still learning and trying to hear ideas. I recognize there is more than 1 way to skin a Buck in Beekeeping and none of which are considered the right way by more than one keeper.

You can do as you're thinking just fine. A couple of things to consider to "hedge your bet" so to speak.
    1, cork or tape off the candy for a day or so to slow her release for a extra day or two.
    2 you could bank the queen you think is poor until you feel confident your other queen has been accepted.
    ďNever be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the TitanicĒ

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    You can do as you're thinking just fine. A couple of things to consider to "hedge your bet" so to speak.
    1, cork or tape off the candy for a day or so to slow her release for a extra day or two.
    2 you could bank the queen you think is poor until you feel confident your other queen has been accepted.
    I didnít think of the bank queen. May do that.

the bees know they have no queen fast like 40 minutes at the most. you can put a caged queen in right away, an hour is better. the traditional answer was 24 hours. at one day the bees probably started their own queen cell, for sure by a day and a half. the bees will tend to try and let their own queen cell supercede the longer it is started. if the queen you introduce is quite young then she is more likely to destroy started queen cells. so my answer is an hour to overnight.