OAV virgin TBH B4 introducing bees

Default OAV virgin TBH B4 introducing bees

Not the first stupid question I'll ever ask. So here goes the first one.

Package and a nuc will be ready for pickup in the next 2-3 weeks weather dependent. Is there any benefit to vaporizing the hives BEFORE actually introducing the bees? Or does the vapor actually have to contact any potential VM on the bees? Yes, realize the nuc will have brood so additional treatments might be needed. We have some bars with combs still attached that we will be putting into the hives for kick starting but not until we know the bees are coming.

Second stupid question and maybe even more important- is there any major disadvantage to pre vaporing the hive other than the minimal Qty of OA I would use?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: OAV virgin TBH B4 introducing bees

Quote Originally Posted by 1garysaccount View Post
    Is there any benefit to vaporizing the hives BEFORE actually introducing the bees?
    Absolutely none.

Quote Originally Posted by 1garysaccount View Post
    is there any major disadvantage to pre vaporing the hive other than the minimal Qty of OA I would use?
    If any OA crystals are left in the hive when you open it and you do not have protective gear on, you could inhale some which is not a fun experience at all or get some in your eyes which is also not fun!

It pretty much has to contact the bees and mites directly. With bees in the hive they immediately fan the OA vapor to help distribute it. It is best not to have any thing strange in the hive you are introducing new bees to. Wait till they get settled in. The package colony would do well to do an OA vapor just before the first brood is to be capped; around a week after the queen commences laying. The nuc will have brood of all stages so you will not be able to take advantage of a broodless time to treat.

Edit; I missed that it is TBH. Still, I would not treat till bees are firmly settled an the queen laying.
    Last edited by crofter; 04-05-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    It pretty much has to contact the bees and mites directly. With bees in the hive they immediately fan the OA vapor to help distribute it. It is best not to have any thing strange in the hive you are introducing new bees to. Wait till they get settled in. The package colony would do well to do an OA vapor just before the first brood is to be capped; around a week after the queen commences laying. The nuc will have brood of all stages so you will not be able to take advantage of a broodless time to treat.

Edit; I missed that it is TBH. Still, I would not treat till bees are firmly settled an the queen laying.
    Frank, thank you. Going to make sure and discuss last treatment dates with the vendors of both package and nuc to find out if/when either were treated. We've learned to be paranoid about mites.

THANKS! Since there is no real advantage to treating an empty hive, even though we have cartridge masks, I think we'll just skip it and make sure we know what the vendor(s) have or haven't done prior to our getting them.