Noob from Southern California

Default Noob from Southern California

I've been wanting to put a hive in my backyard for a while. Been reading up and watching Youtube videos.

Now that we have a shelter in place order, and not really working, I thought I might as well jump - despite the uncertain present. I also have a swarm in one of my fruit trees in my backyard, and my immediate neighbor has a swarm in one of his trees as well.

So I'm thinking about picking up either one or two of the "10 Frame Deluxe Brood Kit - Assembled / Painted - W/Double Waxed Wood Frames":

https://www.pierco.com/collections/c...ed-wood-frames

Would these be good with room to grow?

Thank you for any advice.

DJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Noob from Southern California

LCDJ, The starter hive you linked is a just that, a good place to start. Chances are that the bees in the trees won't bee there when you get your equipment. Do a google search for bee associations/clubs in your area. Reach out to them and you might find a beekeeper that will help you hive these swarms and may even loan or sell you some equipment. You can also look at your local hardware store for bee keeping equipment. The Tru-Value, Ace, and Tractor Supply stores near me all carry some stuff.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

With the Covid-19 shelter in place order here in California, it's a bit difficult to meet a beekeeping group. And I think this will go on at least through April. Maybe even May.

JWPalmer - if the Pierco set that I linked to is only good as a starter and not that great to keep and grow along with, what would you recommend?

It is fine on its own. You will need to purchase additional boxes (supers) and frames as the hive grows. Almost all bee equipment is interchangable among manufacturers. There are complete beginner kits available that include some of the common tools, a basic bee suit, and a complete hive. The three bee supply companies I use are Mann Lake, Kelly, and Betterbee. There are several others. I believe all three mentioned offer kits as I described.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Welcome to Beesource, Left Coast DJ.

It looks like JW has given you some good advice. The "How to Start Beekeeping" forum is a great place to start your beekeeping journey.

Best of success to you this year- if there have been swarms in your backyard already, that is a good sign that 'free bees' will be available to you.

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Welcome to Bee Source and best of luck with your bees. Sounds like there are hives near you generating swarms. Once you get your equipment ready, maybe there will be more swarm that you can catch and hive.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Thank you all.