Bee of the Day

Thread: Bee of the Day

Default Bee of the Day

Hi,

I thought you might enjoy my site: https://bees.photo

On it, I publish a different shot of a bee each day - honeybees and natives - with an odd pollinator thrown in now and then as a bonus. A couple of samples are attached.

In case it's not clear, these are all my photographs - a new one every day. Maybe like those "quote of the day" or "word of the day" offerings.

No obligation of any kind. I just thought you might find it interesting and fun. You're welcome to share the link with whomever you think might enjoy.

Best regards,
    Steve
    This came across my desk and I thought I would share it. Some of the photos are quite good.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

3. Default Re: Bee of the Day

Hey, that's my site! I noticed traffic from here and thought I'd see why. What a great resource this place is! I've linked it in my side-bar navigation.

While we're not beekeepers ourselves, a friend in the neighborhood keeps three hives in our yard each year - so we're sort of surrogates.

In addition to a photo each day, I post a little narrative and I'm not as well-versed in the world of bees as many of you are. So if you notice some mis/dis/wrong information, please let me know.

I hope you enjoy this project of mine: https://bees.photo

If this works, here's a preview of what you will find on the site:
    bees.photo - sample (2).jpg

Default Re: Bee of the Day

Steve, I did not see a link, but it would be great if one could subscribe and have the photo sent directly to their inbox everyday.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

5. Default Re: Bee of the Day

I'm kinda torn on that one. It is probably something I should offer, but I have a hard time being okay (personally) being that intrusive - even when it's invited. I don't do social media, either - and that position is pretty counterproductive to sharing and traffic and all else. I've looked into it and can do it mechanically - and I suspect I'll get my head around doing it sooner than later. I've had several requests.

I've spent most of my career working in internet/network security, and really have developed a distaste for the intrusiveness of technology - so I'm stupid-careful about what I'm willing to do. If/when I do do that, I want to make sure that the addresses are in my care only and cannot be leveraged/tracked/whatever by a 3rd party. I'm deeply committed to respecting those, in that way, who visit my site.

Beautiful photography, and I like the casual narratives too. I read in one post that you are wondering if you should keep doing your website because you have a small following. Please continue. Your present audience is not small, they are exclusive, and that won't last for long. Check it out everyone. He has some great shots. And THANK YOU for valuing everyone's privacy and security. J

Steve, love your photos and concern for our net security.
    Greatly appreciated.
    What is your rough geographic location?
    I’m looking at a foot and half of snow, flowers are still a fantasy here.
    Best regards,
    Brian

8. Default Re: Bee of the Day

Fivej, thank you for the kind words. I really had no intention of adding narrative and making it "bloggy", but that's how it's turning out. And I'm going to keep at it. I suspect as the body of work grows, so too will the following. I'm planning something interesting for the 100th day so stay tuned for that. That will be sometime in May.

BDT123, I'm in Ogden, Utah...right where the city meets the mountain - up in the foothills. So to the east (and underfoot, really) are the Rockies - and to the west are the deserts of the Great Basin. So much beauty to enjoy and sometimes capture through the lens. Spring is such a wonderful time of year around here. And I've got a tip on wild (feral?) poppies in late May/early June - so I'm hoping to get some good shots of bees on those. I never seem to do quite as much with wildflowers as I mean to in the winter.

9. Default Re: Bee of the Day

Today I posted a pic of a bee-created iris on the site. I think it's neat to see the "product" of pollination. Also some pics there of three swarms from last week. Pretty neat stuff. I had to capture the third swarm by myself (our beekeeper is an ICU nurse and she was working that day) - and managed to succeed. Really a neat experience for a novice knucklehead.

Lots of "neats" in this post. Bees are neat .

Stunning photos, Steve. Many thanks for sharing your work.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Bees are neat .
    You won't get any arguments from those of us here.

Steve, your site is brilliant!!!!! Showed it to my wife who is on it right now. She teaches 3rd grade and uses bees to get the attention , interests, and curiosity going in her room.

Love the Monarch on the Blazing Star; complimentary colors on the color wheel, nature is truly beautiful.
    Proverbs 16:24

14. Default Re: Bee of the Day

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I feel like a bit of an interloper here in some sense. But notsomuch in others. Not every knucklehead with a camera has had a chance to capture a swarm by himself.

Three months in to the project today. I'm going to do something interesting for the 100th day, I think.

Thrilled that people are enjoying it. So much fun for me to see/do.

15. Default Re: Bee of the Day

Couple of neat ones posted today. Tomorrow, to mark the 100th "bee of the day", I'll be posting 100+ pics of bees with some random pollinators thrown in. Fun trying to put that together.

The site is: https://bees.photo

Good shot of Bee on Buckwheat.

17. Default Re: Bee of the Day

Thanks, JWP. They sure seem to be loving on the Buckwheat the last few days. Interesting how they move from plant to plant as the pollen becomes available. Guess it's intuitive, but I sure can't look at something and say it's "ready".

In other news, today is the 100th post - so I'm doubling down and posting 100+ shots today in celebration. I'm up to number 30 right now, furiously trying to get it done. Might make a new post announcing when I've completed. Some great shots of a variety of bees on a variety of blossoms. And some not-so-great, too. A few bonus other pollinators throw in for fun.

https://bees.photo

18. Default Re: Bee of the Day

Been a while but I'm still at it. Here's one I liked from the other day on the lavender:

https://bees.photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love your photos.
    Proverbs 16:24

Very cool Steve, thanks so much for sharing.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

21. Default Re: Bee of the Day

Such a pleasure. If anyone gets just 1/1000th of the joy I do from it, it's worth it - a huge win for...

...goodness? I don't know. I just know it's real - and good.