removing nuisance bees from water source - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: removing nuisance bees from water source

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post
    I have had two calls in the last 5 years about my having bees in my little town (pop 393). Now I only keep bees on ranchers properties who have no one living on site. I don't see how you guy keep your bees in populated towns.

You're a better man than I am Charlie Brown.
    Just lucky to have neighbors that love my honey, I guess!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I've had this happen. I suggested to the guy to maybe put artificial almond extract in his water (With Benzaldehyde). Same stuff that's in Honey B Gone.
    The worst thing I ever hear from people when I'm outside is "uhm, are you the bee guy...?" It's always followed with some complaint. Dang nab it.

Ultimately, I ended up placing tubs of water all around my house. I let the water get a bit ~funky (they preferred his nasty pond water vs. my clean stuff). I also placed a bit of salt in some of the tubs and now I add some Anise to some tubs, sometimes lemongrass to other tubs. I give the bees a bit of a choice...and I make sure I always have some semi-funky water. Bees truly prefer water which isn't 'faucet fresh.'

Oh, I also gave the guy some honey. I can't give the stuff fast enough. I don't know what I'm going to do this year with more than 4 times the honey of last year...ugg, this hobby is getting expensive. All those dang jars I buy & give away... (no, not going to sell it)

Quote Originally Posted by Gir View Post
    Oh, I also gave the guy some honey. I can't give the stuff fast enough. I don't know what I'm going to do this year with more than 4 times the honey of last year...ugg, this hobby is getting expensive. All those dang jars I buy & give away... (no, not going to sell it)

Are they glass jars? if so can you ask for them to be returned when they are empty, clean them well, install new lids, and send them back out.

I could ask for them back but I stopped doing that. That too isn't worth it. One friend would always get me jars and even that I found kinda irritating to pour honey in all these strangely shaped jars, and usually I had to clean those. It's just so convenient to buy some clean jars, all together, in a line and pour away! I know I'm being lazy, but I truly do NOT like fooling with honey. Harvesting honey, filtering honey and bottling honey is one of the things about beekeeping I do NOT like. I know...I know...
    Oh, and yes, they are glass jars, they're all small mouth mason jars. Kerr & Ball.
    Last edited by Gir; 04-08-2020 at 11:55 PM.

I've got a plastic jug with the top cut out that has small (golfball or less) rocks for polishing in it setting on the ground beside my deck for about four years now. It's got some leaves in there also. My bees cannot stay away from it! I've also noticed them collecting from anyplace water drips often and from moss in potted plants. Just create one of these similar places and I think your problem will be solved.

I just went out and added a tiny bit of vanilla extract to see if they come more.
    Nice trial
    -Linda

Bees love acidic water sources. Reduce the ph to the base side and they will prefer to go elsewhere. Pool people have their water out of balance and bees become a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Salston414ra View Post
    Reduce the ph to the base side
    Actually, you increase the pH to make a solution basic. Anything above 7.0 is considered to be alkaline, below 7.0 is acidic. I do not know for sure which the bees prefer, but water with leaves in it is typically acidic from the tannic acid leached into the water.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

You are absolutely right and I stand corrected. Increase the ph to the base side 7+ and problem solved!

I'm not quite as nice if my bees get into my neighbor's pools, nice to the bees I mean... I say they should kill the bees. Those water foragers will not learn a new location.

Then I step up my watering game - I add sugar (like 10%) and chlorine to the waterer between the bee hives and the pools. I drop the sugar to 0 over the next couple weeks.

THis is actually the time of year to "train" the water foragers to your preferred water source. I'm starting an outyard with a pool and a lot of kids who use it... I am putting pool liner (or a garbage bag or tarp) that is dark, in a kiddie pool, 15 feet from the hives. THis time of year the bees really appreciate a water source that is warmed up quickly - that can be part of why they learned about the pool water for any neighbors that let water accumulate on a year-round pool, when it is covered. Bees also really like the easy landing/takeoff for the concrete next to the side of the pool... so I make sure there is "easy entry" to my water sources too. A wider, shallower dish is preferred, and flat stones to land on that are 5 bees wide or so.

Adding a scent - good idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12