removing nuisance bees from water source
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default removing nuisance bees from water source

I need help with a nuisance bees problem. I have a Super pissed off neighbor because my hive's water collector bees keeps going next door to collect water. How do I denture bees from going to an open standing water source on my neighbor's property? I have already proposed removing the water source and that was a nonstarter (this is not a rational negotiation). I already have installed bee fountan with recirculating water and a chicken feeder with salt water for the bees on my property. The neighbor is open to chemical deterrence, mint and citronella oil were tried but did not last long.

Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: removing nuisance bees from water source

If you are IN the city then there may not be much choice where they get the water.
    What is the 'water source' he has? Can he put a mesh screen over/around the water so the bees can't get in?
    -Linda

It is the condensate pump drain from a high efficiency natural gas-fired water heater. every few hours is dribble water out of the house and onto a cement slab. The bee love it! It is not to code, and I have told him that. As I said this is not a rational discussion. I tried putting down gravel but the grave just gets wet and the bees land on that.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Madsen View Post
    It is the condensate pump drain from a high efficiency natural gas-fired water heater. every few hours is dribble water out of the house and onto a cement slab. The bee love it! It is not to code, and I have told him that. As I said this is not a rational discussion. I tried putting down gravel but the grave just gets wet and the bees land on that.

Alex
    How about make the gravel deeper ( like 5 inches) and put a new pipe elbow down into the gravel. That way no water is seen or accumulate on top ?
    -Linda

condensate usually goes to a trap and sewer. If not, any chance of collecting it into a sealed milk jug and you water them at your place?
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

Ala french drain. Get a one gallon flower pot. Dig hole. Put flower pot in hole below grade. Fill flower pot with gravel. Add pvc pipe extention and put into gravel. Cover flower pot with dirt and fill hole. Plant a few marijuana seeds in fresh dirt. Wait two months . Call police. Problem solved.

The last part is optional, but worth a shot unless growing weed is legal in MA.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Ala french drain. Get a one gallon flower pot. Dig hole. Put flower pot in hole below grade. Fill flower pot with gravel. Add pvc pipe extention and put into gravel. Cover flower pot with dirt and fill hole. Plant a few marijuana seeds in fresh dirt. Wait two months . Call police. Problem solved.

The last part is optional, but worth a shot.
    It's legal in Mass so that last part wont work.

Got to thinking about Linda's other posts and realized that it probably was. Modified the post before I saw yours that confirmed it. Oh well. Would have worked in the old days...
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Got to thinking about Linda's other posts and realized that it probably was. Modified the post before I saw yours that confirmed it. Oh well. Would have worked in the old days...
    I think you can only have 6 plants per adult per house. Maybe scatter the seeds all in their garden.
    Better yet, toss a smelly skunk cabbage over there and call PD to complain about his pot smoking.
    Hahahah
    Back in the old days it smelled like nice Herb not skunk
    -Linda

The last part is optional, but worth a shot unless growing weed is legal in MA.
    THATS a good one.

I think the french drain idea will work. He shouldn't object since its such a small amount of water. Also, try making your water source more attractive. Unplug the pump and let the water get skunky. Throw some debris in it. I would replace the salt water in the chicken feeder with plain water and just a drop of bleach or other attractant like lgo,tyme etc. I might even try a very dilute sugar solution. I haven't had to do this, but other's have said it (sometimes) works. Goof luck. J

Tell him they can't be bees from your hive because all your bees are marked, and it must be bees from somewhere else.

I agree with burying the end of the pipe in a gravel trap.

I have had reasonable luck with keeping bees at my water source and out of my neighbors hot tub by putting an aquarium heater at 85 ish in a 5 gallon bucket. I added a 2-3 tablespoons of salt and 1-2 of honey to this water, and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    I agree with burying the end of the pipe in a gravel trap.

I have had reasonable luck with keeping bees at my water source and out of my neighbors hot tub by putting an aquarium heater at 85 ish in a 5 gallon bucket. I added a 2-3 tablespoons of salt and 1-2 of honey to this water, and it works well.
    I like the idea of adding honey or sugar. I will give it a try.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Walls View Post
    Tell him they can't be bees from your hive because all your bees are marked, and it must be bees from somewhere else.
    I like this one
    I mean seriously how many bees are over there?
    Tell him yours not only are Marked but they have been De-Stingered
    -Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Madsen View Post
    I need help with a nuisance bees problem. I have a Super pissed off neighbor because my hive's water collector bees keeps going next door to collect water. How do I denture bees from going to an open standing water source on my neighbor's property? I have already proposed removing the water source and that was a nonstarter (this is not a rational negotiation). I already have installed bee fountan with recirculating water and a chicken feeder with salt water for the bees on my property. The neighbor is open to chemical deterrence, mint and citronella oil were tried but did not last long.

Alex
    Have had a similar problem . I provided water at the hive entrance, ie like a feeder. My logic for the bees is that why fly 10 metres when I can get water at the door. Bees are all about energy efficiency. Try it and let me know how it goes Geoff

PS Western Australia (the name of the state) had a great honey flow this year. Needed it after a total disaster last year. The eastern states is a bit grim with drought and the fires which you would know about.

Because of this thread I got my little chicken waterer out , cleaned it and put it out for the Bees.
    I saw a small fuzzy bee yesterday in the sunshine. It wouldn't stick around long enough for me to look at her better.
    -Linda

Alex, I had the same problem of my bees going to neighbor's yard until I started adding a flavoring to my own water. I read that bees don't located sources that are close to the hive by dancing, more by smell. I add vanilla extract to my bee water and they are all over it! Neighbor still gets a few, but i'm not even sure they are mine.

I have had two calls in the last 5 years about my having bees in my little town (pop 393). Now I only keep bees on ranchers properties who have no one living on site. I don't see how you guy keep your bees in populated towns.

You're a better man than I am Charlie Brown.

I had the same problem several years ago my need going to a neighbors pool. I put a little round child's pool, the blue ones, filled with peat moss and water. Mixed in a little honey to get them started. Kept the peat wet. That solved the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast