2 easy questions

Default 2 easy questions

I have two top bar hives I built from kits and managed for several years before my employment took me away from beekeeping for a few years. Now I'm back and cleaned up the hives and bought two boxes of bees.

1. I dumped the bees in to a space about 5-6 bars wide, removed the cork from the queen and hung it below the middle bar. Is 5 or 6 bars enough for a start? Seems like a lot of bees in there.
    2. I am missing some top bars. Are these a standard size? Either way where is a good place to buy replacements? I may have time to raise bees but not to start woodworking.

TIA

frac

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2 easy questions

Welcome to Beesource fracmeister. I do not believe there are any standards with TBH bars as there are with Langstroth frames. Best would be to contact the kit manufacturer for replacements. Or, do you know someone that does enjoy woodworking? The bars are super easy to make as opposed to some of the other equipment.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.