Making deep boxes into medium boxes on an active hive

Default Making deep boxes into medium boxes on an active hive

I live in North East Ohio, I have 2 deep boxes on all the hives, then I have the medium honey boxes on top of them. I leave the 2 deep boxes on the hives through the winter. The deep boxes are getting heavy to be handling, is it ok to keep the deep box on the bottom and instead of having the deep box on top of it making it into 2 medium boxes that stay on the hive through the winter? And if so, how do I change the top deep box into 2 medium boxes? Thanks for any advise on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Making deep boxes into medium boxes on an active hive

I overwinter about half of my hives in each of those two configurations, 2D and 1D+2M. Either works, and they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Can you start with a split? That would be easiest. Otherwise, you could put a QE between the two deeps with the queen and at least some empty comb below, let the brood in the upper deep hatch, then take the upper deep off. Then do what you wish with the frames.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

What about cutting out the comb and rubber-banding it into a Medium frame? More work but that way you keep what you have. Then put empty med on in between?
    -Linda

If I do a split will the deep I start a new hive with make a new queen?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstorm6274 View Post
    If I do a split will the deep I start a new hive with make a new queen?
    If it is done correctly, yes. Timing is also important. But that is a bigger subject, which would warrant your use of the search feature of the forum. A walkaway split is probably the simplest.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.