Beginner from Gerald, Missouri.

Default Beginner from Gerald, Missouri.

Hi All!

My neighbor bought a hive in early fall of 2018 at an estate auction, and we put it on my property in Gerald, Mo. As it turned out, someone had taken all the honey out of it, and we don't think it had a queen, so needless to say, it didn't make the winter. But, I'm into woodworking as well, and I spent part of that winter making swarm traps, and caught a swarm at our other home in St. Louis, Mo. I moved it into the now empty hive in Gerald, and they did very well, and have made it through this past winter and are looking very strong. This is also a very docile hive, so we've got high hopes.

I'm busy building my own hive components, I've joined the Missouri Beekeepers Assoc., and I've made the acquaintance of the leader of the local chapter in Sullivan, Mo. by phone. I think he's going to be my mentor as I learn more about this hobby - and that's strictly what it's going to be for me, just a hobby. Our St. Louis home is close to a great beekeeping supply shop called Isabee's, and I'm also learning a lot from them. They're also my source for any supplies that I need.

My new mentor told me about this forum, and encouraged me to check it out. I hope to learn a lot from you all, and will also contribute as much as I can to the discussions as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beginner from Gerald, Missouri.

Sounds like your going down the right path, welcome!
    Rod

Caught a swarm right off the bat! Good work. Swarm trapping is fun.

Welcome and let us know how things are going. You'll find folks here to be pretty helpful.

Michael....
    Welcome to the forum. I about six miles from gerald. The forum has been a godsend for me. Good luck in the coming year.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCfffg View Post
    I'm busy building my own hive components, I've joined the Missouri Beekeepers Assoc., and I've made the acquaintance of the leader of the local chapter in Sullivan, Mo. by phone. I think he's going to be my mentor as I learn more about this hobby - and that's strictly what it's going to be for me, just a hobby.
    Repeat after me. "Hello, my name is Michael and I am an addict". Welcome to Beesource Michael. You are in good company.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCfffg View Post
    My new mentor told me about this forum, and encouraged me to check it out. I hope to learn a lot from you all, and will also contribute as much as I can to the discussions as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Michael....
    Welcome to the forum. I about six miles from gerald. The forum has been a godsend for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Repeat after me. "Hello, my name is Michael and I am an addict". Welcome to Beesource Michael. You are in good company.
    Michael:

Let me join everyone in welcoming you to the forum. It sounds like you have a smart mentor and you will likely do well listening to him.

Speaking of listening to folks, I would encourage you to talk GWW into letting you come over and tour his yard and explain his approach and methods- he is doing very well in your immediate area.

Finally, I couldn't help but smile as I read JW's comment. I can think of no other addiction that is more universally acceptable... but there is no doubt that beekeeping is habit-forming.

Again, welcome and good luck!

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Welcome Michael. You are way ahead on the learning curve. I hope you have a plan for dealing with mites. J

Thank you to everyone for the warm and enthusiastic welcome! I was delighted to see the note from GWW, as he or she is very close to me. My next note after this one will be a note to GWW, if I can figure out how to send a PM on this forum. LOL

Someone mentioned mites. I'm well aware of them, and have been watching for them on my bees as they are coming and going, and also when I've opened up the hive, but haven't done anything yet to control them. I've not seen any yet, but it is something I'm doing some research on, and plan to discuss with my new friend from the Sullivan beekeeping group. He's coming by tomorrow to help me do a thorough hive inspection, and he's thinking that I might be able to do a split.

I have seen a few hive beetles, and have put a couple of Beetle Blaster traps in the super. I'm also trying to figure out a way to keep the beetles from maturing in the soil under the hive, even to the point of considering a concrete pad that will also keep weeds in check around the hive. It's always an adventure cutting them back without getting the girls riled up.

I'll let you know what we learn about my hive tomorrow. Really glad to have found out about this forum!

Ha, gww is a he. I am sure he was not offended. I find myself suprised sometimes, thinking I am conversing with a guy, only to find out months later that the beekeeper was female. Of course, it truly does not matter.

Re varroa: you cannot see them on the bees. If you ever do, the hive is so infested that it probably can't be saved. You can monitor mite levels with powdered sugar shakes, alcohol washes, or by doing an OAV drop dead count. All of these methods are discussed in threads on Beesource.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

jw
    Ha, gww is a he. I am sure he was not offended.
    After 2 pack of cigarettes a day since I was 14, it would probably be a fair call if I were referred to as girly man. I have been called much more revolting things during my life.

My wife is more of a man then me these days.

Long as every one is having fun, I'm in.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    jw
    Long as every one is having fun, I'm in.
    LOL Sorry about the confusion! Can't bee too careful these days, and certainly can't make any assumptions anymore. As soon as you do, there's always somebody ready to jump on you for an honest mistake. I got your response to my PM, and am looking forward to making your acquantince when things lighten up a little. As it turns out, you're just a few miles from me!

We were able to do the full inspection today finally, with great results. See my posting in the "Today in the Apiary" thread for the details!
    Last edited by MichaelCfffg; 04-08-2020 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Avoiding two identical posts!

Welcome
    -Linda

Hi Mike. I had fun today playing with your bees!

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
    Hi Mike. I had fun today playing with your bees!
    That was fun for me as well, and quite educational as well. Thank you so much for being willing to brave all this crap going on to come help me with my hive. I was delighted that we were able to do a three-way split. I wasn't expecting that, and I hope it works out that the girls in the nuc can make themselves a new queen. They're doing fine at our other home in town, and my tentative plans are to bring them back here again next weekend. There's a good chance that we'll put the deep with the new queen over on my neighbor's property, just across the road.
    I need to go back to work. This being retired is working me too hard!

All sounds good to me. And if the nuc fails in making a queen you can try and buy one from Jane then and give it to them.
    Here is the link to the Queen rearing calendar : https://thebeeyard.org/queen-rearing-calendar/
    Start with the date you made the nuc up. You will see there are some days that moving it will not be recommended.

Good luck!
    Sam

Reminder Re: Beginner from Gerald, Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
    ............. Here is the link to the Queen rearing calendar : https://thebeeyard.org/queen-rearing-calendar/
    Start with the date you made the nuc up. You will see there are some days that moving it will not be recommended.
    Thanks Sam! That's a great tool. I've bookmarked it and printed out a copy as well. If all goes well we're in the critical period now, but I should be good to move them back to our country place on Friday evening after dark. I'll probably figure on doing an inspection then on Saturday or Sunday, just a day or two before any new queen should be emerging. Exciting stuff!

Be very, very, very careful NOT to damage the queen cell when inspecting it. If there are more then two in there I would
    get the leftovers out before she hatches.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Sam

The inspections went well, and we kept three of the eight capped queen cells that we found in the nuc. I just sent you an email, and I'll post some photos in the Today In The Apiary thread. I think it's in the General Beekeeping forum section.