Is an AI breeder queen worth it for 20-25 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is an AI breeder queen worth it for 20-25

Quote Originally Posted by Mosherd1 View Post
    Thanks I did but they had a 4 queen minimum for their AI queens. I also spoke with VP Queens and they are sold out until next year. So I will get my order in early from VP next year I believe. For this year I will see what is available locally and if need be graft from a hive of mine that did well this winter and is a bit darker in color.

Try these people. $300 Per AI queens. http://harbobeeco.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Try these people. $300 Per AI queens. http://harbobeeco.com/[/QUOTE] Thanks, I did not know about them. Do you have any experience with them or their queens?
    15+/- beehives, Duck Hunter
    Wishing I can quite my job, keep bees and live the farm life!

no experience with their queens, but John Harbo is a living legend in both the field of II and VSH, good to see they are selling some queens again, they took some time off
    "oh well, let us stick to science. let them have their beliefs and intuitions!" -Medhat Nasr

Mosherd, I too am in CT are you entertaining buying from the company that sent out the mailer a week or two ago? If I remember they had a few cheaper (non AI) mated options.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadofMeadow View Post
    Mosherd, I too am in CT are you entertaining buying from the company that sent out the mailer a week or two ago? If I remember they had a few cheaper (non AI) mated options.
    Ideally I would like something AI, so at least I am controlling 50% of the genetics. I might have just started my search too late for this year. I will call Harbo, and a couple local guys too just to see what is available. I don't want to spend $40/queen for 25 queens, so i might either buy 1 AI, 1 local or just graft from one of mine and start the search early in 2021. If I buy an open mated local queen to graft from, I will in essence only control 25% of the genes if I graft from her. I am keeping an open mind though, as no matter what I do it won't be a "bad" decision, just a matter of degree of how "good" the decision will be. The last AI dark VSH queen i bought 10 year ago was awesome. I have been wondering lately how much more success I would have had if I kept up buying 1 every couple years, but hindsight is 20/20. Just going to look forward and try to rebuild the genes of the apiary and surrounding area as best I can.

I wish I didn't throw out the brochure, someone in CT was offering AI, Production queens and locally mated queens. Their locally mated queens would have had at least some of the AI's queen (assuming it was a grafted daughter). Are you a member of the CT Beeper association?

Quote Originally Posted by HeadofMeadow View Post
    I wish I didn't throw out the brochure, someone
    i used to be but didn't pay the dues a couple years ago, I need to sign up again. Thanks for your help

Mosherd1
    A short plug for Russian bees.
    The Rus Q Breeders Assoc runs one of the most rigorous non- AI breeding programs in the country.

http://www.russianbreeders.org/selec...ification.html

I've been running Rus based stock in Windsor and Enfield for over 15 yrs and have found my own locally raised Qs to be well adapted to our area.
    Good wintering,fast spring build up,good honey production and good mite tolerance.
    Dan Conlon from Warm Colors apiary in S Deerfield MA is currently president and sells some great Qs.I buy a couple every year to add their genes to my yards.If you don't know Dan,you should.

http://www.warmcolorsapiary.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    Mosherd1
    A short plug for Russian bees.
    The Rus Q Breeders Assoc runs one of the most rigorous non- AI breeding programs in the country.

http://www.russianbreeders.org/selec...ification.html

I've been running Rus based stock in Windsor and Enfield for over...

http://www.warmcolorsapiary.com/
    Thanks Jack, I will definitely look into them. I am finally at a point where I feel I can refocus my energies into the bees and breeding again. I had one Russian hybrid years ago but would definitely be open to trying more out.

For what it's worth I thought that an II Queen was worth it. I'm looking to raise 30-40 queens, maybe more depending on how long she lives. For me the real value is that the drones of the daughter queens will all have the genetics of II Queen's line. For me that's important as our local drones usually produce aggressive tendencies. I ordered one from New River. He sells out very quickly so you have to be ready to order when he opens his online store on January first. Good Luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12