All Drawn Comb with New Package Bees?

Default All Drawn Comb with New Package Bees?

In the past when I have started a new hive with a 3lb package of bees, I put them in one box with foundation. This year I have lots of drawn comb to put in the new hives I am starting.
    But with all the frames being drawn, will there be enough bees to patrol the frames and keep out the small hive beetles? Should I just put in 3 or 4 frames of drawn comb and the rest be foundation?

I'm just worried that all frames being drawn out will be too much area for the new hive to protect.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: All Drawn Comb with New Package Bees?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood271 View Post
    In the past when I have started a new hive with a 3lb package of bees, I put them in one box with foundation. This year I have lots of drawn comb to put in the new hives I am starting.
    But with all the frames being drawn, will there be enough bees to patrol the frames and keep out the small hive beetles? Should I just put in 3 or 4 frames of drawn comb and the rest be foundation?

I'm just worried that all frames being drawn out will be too much area for the new hive to protect.

Thoughts?
    a package can cover ten drawn frames well enough. but you have an opportunity to get more frames drawn if you need them. consider placing queen cage between two drawn frames in middle of box and then eight frames of foundation. once they get them drawn you can add a second box full of drawn comb and they will take off.

Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    a package can cover ten drawn frames well enough. but you have an opportunity to get more frames drawn if you need them. consider placing queen cage between two drawn frames in middle of box and then eight frames of foundation. once they get them drawn you can add a second box full of drawn comb and they will take off.
    I actually do not need any more drawn comb. I have at least 100 frames of drawn comb already. Probably more.

But I may still put in about half new foundation with this new package.....just to be safe.

might as well just start them in a nuc box then. or on 6 drawn frames and add more as needed. they should be able to cover 10 drawn frames though. add second box 3 weeks after installing package.