Electric fence charger - how do I charge my battery, and how long will it last? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Electric fence charger - how do I charge my battery, and how long will it last?

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    ... but I still don't know how to charge the battery, ...
    Users should consult the battery manufacturer for the charging instructions. For example:
    https://www.usbattery.com/wp-content...eet_2019.2.pdf

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Electric fence charger - how do I charge my battery, and how long will it last?

Username,

A battery box like boaters use will protect your battery. For the fencer, try a cut off antifreeze jug. Example pic below. If you add a solar panel to your setup, a scavenged satellite tv dish make a great adjustable mount for a single solar panel.

Sat dish mount.jpg Fencer.jpg

I'm frugal, so went to local Auto parts store and bought 2 discarded/used car batteries for $10. I charge them with battery charger and switch them out monthly. Been doing this for years. Batteries usually last 2-3 yrs I have found that way.

The 20 watt charger appears to be strong enough.
    Last edited by username00101; 04-25-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Holy crap.

The 100 amp hour battery died.

No idea why.

Worked perfectly for 3 weeks, suddenly just dead.

The grass grew up along the fence over the weekend, and I guess the grass was pulling the electric charge from the fence.

What a total waste of money, and effort. I had to go buy a new battery, and I still have absolutely no idea what went wrong.

Now the stupid battery is reading 9 volts.

I hate deep cycle batteries, they make no sense. Why won't it get back up above 12V, aren't they designed to deep cycle?

Why would a 20 watt solar charger suddenly fail after working perfectly for 3 weeks.
    Last edited by username00101; 05-06-2020 at 07:53 PM.

@$#*@

I think this is the answer here:

To combat excessive weeds, use low impedance energizers, which are capable of increasing their energy output as fence load increases. As weeds touch the fence line, drawing voltage and amperage to earth, the low impedance energizer will begin to compensate for the power drain by releasing stored energy (joules). This boost overcomes the voltage loss caused by the weeds, and pushes energy to the rest of fence line. As long as the wire remains in contact with the energizer, the energy can flow past vegetation to keep the fence hot.

...low impedance energizers are specifically designed to pump out more energy when the fence is registering low ohms. This allows our energizers to produce their maximum energy output when it is needed, rather than all the time. "

So I guess this means that the stupid grass growing along the fence was pulling out enough energy from the battery to croak the system in just a few days?

OK, so it was probably a combination of the grass and the fact that a 20W charger just doesn't seem to be enough.

The electric fence energizer company didn't offer much advice.

Trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    ... Trial and error.
    To react quickly you need a refractometer to measure the specific gravity of the battery acid.
    They have 3 scales.One of them is for battery fluid. (SG =1.10-1.40kg/l).
    The ATC feature helps to interpretthe readings in the field.

Raising pigs out on pasture, you and I have a lot of same challenges. I have ended up using Speedrite 1000 energizers. They store 2.5 jules and push 2. The units show you the charge of the battery, clearance of the fence line, gives different settings and strengths for day and night. On the low setting, the battery lasts for 42 days and 28 on the high setting. I'm using two now and I love them.
    The voltage runs 10000kv on the line. Kinda need that when your boar weighs 800#. I think I paid 146$ apiece at Premier Fencing. Also, I believe that they are American made, I could be wrong though.

After trial and error, solar charger must be over 50+ watts.

Energizer power makes a difference - a low powered energizer likely does not require as many watts.

The 2 joule energizer required 50 watts or higher.

Financially, the most realistic option is a combo package and go for the higher watts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12