UPS Lost my bees - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can we go back to your original question? There’s lots of yelling about the supplier, but you never got an answer to the question of how long the bees can live in the package.

A package of bees can survive 10 days in the package, provided the SHIPPER does not mishandle them. Mishandling includes some pretty silly stuff like them turning the package upside down, or leaving them somewhere to bake in extreme heat.

Gold Star Honeybees has been shipping bees to the lower 48 United States for a decade and the success rate has been a consistent 95-96%
    We ship USPS priority mail, the USPS only moves the bees via ground transportation, and while it’s true that it sucks if the post office breaks your bees, 95% of the time they get there just fine.

If it didn’t work that well, we wouldn’t do it.
    Check us out. You can order online from our website.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: UPS Lost my bees

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Star View Post
    A package of bees can survive 10 days in the package, provided the SHIPPER does not mishandle them. Mishandling includes some pretty silly stuff like them turning the package upside down, or leaving them somewhere to bake in extreme heat.
    The SHIPPER is the person/company that originates the package. Companies that transport packages (UPS, FedEx, USPS etc) are CARRIERS.

Reference: https://www.txintlfreight.com/faq-ar...ipper-carrier/
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

One last thought - my post above assumes that the package ships with a 15oz can of syrup feed.

Sorry, my bad. Yes, the SHIPPER would be the company you bought the bees from. The CARRIER, ie the shipping company (UPS, USPS, etc.) is who would mishandle the package.

Quote Originally Posted by mfsheffield View Post
    I am looking at getting some nucs from Bridgetown.
    That would have been my recommendation in the first place.
    Keep it local.
    Glenn won't "lose" your bees.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    UPS Terms of Service for shipping "live animals" (including bees) say that they will NOT be liable for those animals arriving in good condition.
    So in the USA who pays in these situations? The vendor? Just interested.

I can tell a story from around 45 years ago when shipping bees out of New Zealand internationally was a developing thing and some parts of the supply chain were in the learning phase. A large shipment that in todays money would have been worth several hundred thousand dollars was loaded onto the plane. Part way through the flight an employee entered and was disturbed by all the buzzing and let go with fly spray. Good part of the shipment destroyed, and yes, that actually happened.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So in the USA who pays in these situations? The vendor? Just interested.
    Well, since UPS does not accept responsibility for bees 'live' delivery, the only other parties involved are the shipper (vendor) and the customer. One would hope that the vendor would step up and make the customer 'whole', but that is not guaranteed to occur. If a large shipment (multiple packages of bees) is destroyed, its conceivable that the vendor may not have the cash to refund the customer.

When push comes to shove, the customer may not have any practical resource to get reimbursed. Small claims court against an out of state vendor doesn't seem like a road to success.

This particular incident with UPS is not the first time UPS has killed a large quantity of bee packages. Beesource archives show there was an earlier incident some years ago involving bees held over a weekend in a reportedly "glass building" (probably lots of windows) in a Jacksonville FL sort center that killed multiple packages.
    Graham

Thanks Rader. Wonder if the carriers ensure their people are educated about what to do and what not to do with packaged bees.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Back about '16 or '17, I believe BeeWeaver stopped using UPS because someone at one one of the terminals sprayed a shipment with insecticide. Maybe, they have short memories, like me.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

If you have ever picked up a package of bees at a vendor distribution point, you are probably aware that those packages often have "travelers" (bees that are outside the package, but 'hanging on' to the screen wire). While those bees may have traveled like that from the package origination point, they might also be "free bees" that flew in from elsewhere and decided to join the party.

It doesn't take much for an uneducated carrier employee (that is afraid of flying insects anyway) to conclude that the package(s) with traveller bees must have a hole in them and get out the insecticide.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 04-02-2020 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham

Iím in NE Portland. Hives came through winter well, so if you have trouble lining up what you want from Bridgetown, I can probably do a split and make you up a nuc. Meantime, set your hive out as a swarm trap. Iíve seen a few scouts snooping around mine, and Iíve caught 3 swarms in empty hives in backyard over a couple years. With all the rain weíve had lately, when we get a couple sunny days early next week Iíd expect to see some swarms.

usps lost 2 packages of mine last year. Marked it up as an expensive learning experience. If I ever need any more, it will be pick-up only.

The pandemic is throwing a whole new wrench into distribution of bees this year. More to come on this.....
    Frank

Insurance?
    ďNever be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the TitanicĒ

I can imagine a UPS dock worker getting stung then throwing the source of his/her misery out into the dumpster. That said;

At this time UPS has suspended all delivery guarantees due to CV19. That means if your overnight package takes 2 days, oh well.
    They are also giving PPE shipments to hospitals and 1st responders their highest priority. A package of pesky bees, "meh. If we get around to it."
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

a friend of mines son works unloading the planes as they come in. He said many workers won't touch anything with bees in them. Luckily for us up here they call him over and he does the unloading of the boxes of queens. every time our queens have gotten to Lexington and we are tracking them, we always get a delay due to mechanical problems, never get through there easily, twice they never made it for 2 day's, we are confident that someone refuses to touch them and they get lost.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12