yellow diarrhea

Thread: yellow diarrhea

Default yellow diarrhea

I've never had to deal with nosema and was wondering if yellow diarrhea indicates nosema? I'd heard brown diarrhea did indicate nosema but not yellow. Is that correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: yellow diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Tanya View Post
    I've never had to deal with nosema and was wondering if yellow diarrhea indicates nosema? I'd heard brown diarrhea did indicate nosema but not yellow. Is that correct?
    Diarrhea does not necessarily indicate Nosema. There can be other factors involved. Are you noticing any other problems with your hive that may point towards an infection? The best way is to examine with a microscope. The USDA's Bee Research Lab in Beltsville, MD provides a free service. However due to the virus plaguing our nation they may be backlogged.

Are you feeding pollen sub? Wondering if that could be the cause. A couple years ago, one of my hives had diarrhea first thing in the spring, but it cleared up quickly. J

I fed pollen sub around Jan or Feb. This is a very strong hive and I was in the process of making a split. I added a 3rd hive box above the 2 already there. I'm wondering if there was anything in the drawn frames I added. Only thing I can think of is there was a small patch of dead bees (heads in cells) from 2 years ago on one frame.

Mick B1
    No other problems in that hive. Just the yellow stuff. It's more than I've seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Tanya View Post
    I fed pollen sub around Jan or Feb. This is a very strong hive and I was in the process of making a split. I added a 3rd hive box above the 2 already there. I'm wondering if there was anything in the drawn frames I added. Only thing I can think of is there was a small patch of dead bees (heads in cells) from 2 years ago on one frame.
    Your in Latrobe and making a split already. Even with a mated queen that seems early for this area. If this works out for you I will need to re-evaluate my timing of things. Wish you the best.

Yes, it's early here. This is not my usual way to split but just adding a second hive box above the main one. They are up in it cleaning things out but I didn't expect the queen to lay there for awhile- it's up to her. I had intended on doing the split in April whenever I see drones. Meanwhile it's just an extra tall hive. It's a very strong hive and this also is a way of giving her more space.

Do you have any ideas, that I might not have thought of, about this?

Feeding sub and bees being confined because of weather (I’ve seen major cleansing flights after 5/6 days in the spring) would lead to conditions such as your description. I see no indication of where your seeing the poo, if it’s outside of the hive and very little inside it’s probably because of the sub and irregular cleansing flights.
    Rod

rwlaw,
    I think you are right about that. I checked today and there doesn't seem to be a problem now. I'm quite releaved.