when swarm moves in, how long to relocate to permanent home?!?

Question when swarm moves in, how long to relocate to permanent home?!?

In past years, I've always heard people say: wait until you see the bees bringing in pollen (or wait about 5 days, regardless) before moving the bait box to where you want it to stay (as a hive).

BUT ... at this year's state beek meeting, I heard people say: once the bees "calm down" right after you get them in a bait box (same day, for example), then relocate them to the permanent locale.

OK -- once and for all, which is the way to go? Does it matter?!

I'm asking cuz -- even as I type -- a swarm's moving into my bait box. Big swarm, too so I'd prefer not to make any screw-ups.

Thx mucho for any advice, anecdotes, pro opinions, guesses, etc.....

Mitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: when swarm moves in, how long to relocate to permanent home?!?

I usually wait for a week or so, that way it’s a pretty good assumption that they’ve set up shop, the queen is laying and they’re anchored to brood. That said, there’s a lot of guys that’ll move em out ASAP to make way for a empty box.
    Rod

Default Re: when swarm moves in, how long to relocate to permanent home?!?

If they are not at their permanent spot and I want them on an other at the same apiary, I move them as soon as most are in. Most of them seem to mark their location on the first time they leave, not on their first arrival. I now try to set my baits on permanent stands. I have no problems with bait swarms absconding unless they can not fit in the box they chose. I am never worried about working them too soon. If they went into a big stack of boxes I reorganize it immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvR0ybmcs1A
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.