Strange bee poo

Thread: Strange bee poo

Default Strange bee poo

Greetings. Hope everyone is doing well and your bees are flying! This morning as I was feeding the pigs I checked in on the hives as I do every morning and all was well. Later on I went to check on the pollen intake and noticed this around the resource hive. The long strands are bee poo and it looks like the Ultra Bee patties I'm feeding them. All the bees that you see are alive- barely. This morning the whole area was clean. Both sides have this and there is still actively at the entrances. The rest of the hives look good. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Strange bee poo

my hives are building up currently. And I noticed bee poop like this too. Interested to hear what is up with this. I have six hives that are of varying strengths. They all have it right now. This wasn't there during the first warm up.

Normal. My first inclination when I saw a bee trailing a string of poop was that the bee had out a refueling hose. Better than getting squirted with the yellow stuff!
    Frank

Agree with Crofter. You want to be concerned about poo that is not as "formed". More like diarrhea that is splattered all over. J

Crab, What's the weather been like there? I suspect if the bees haven't been able to get out of the hive often, that they've been storing up the protein from the patties and these are maximum cleansing flights. My bees did this weird thing: it was warm in February and the bees brought in pollen steadily. Then we got a week of snow (3 feet of it) and the bees were inside. Nice weather for a few days and when I went to check there is bee poop everywhere. There was poop on the snow about 30 feet away from the hives. Inside everything looked good. So, I think its from the increased protein in their diet, which is hard on them when they can't get out often enough. So normal, as Crofter says.

@Crofter--Makes me think of those helicopters they use for forest fires with the long dangling hose.
    Year 4
    Zone 7b 3500 ft.

I would say normal too if you are feeding pollen sub patties. Weather here has been good, but with rain and all, not every day is a flying day. When the temps come up, the cars are covered in poop just like this. Can't say about the lethargic bees. Friday should be nice, maybe check inside the hives then?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

That looks like what I have all over my car. The stuff is very hard to wash off.

I'm also wondering if this may be self induced. I ran the resource hive all winter with upper and lower entrances as well as a quilt box. I'm thinking that these bees wore them selves out keeping the cluster warm. I had a steady loss all winter from the hives set up this way. The hives with only a bottom entrance and a quilt box had no loss and are building up a lot quicker.

Well that answers my question. I had put pollen sub in 2 weeks before and the weather in Missouri has been cold and warm and cold and warm.