Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Melanie Kirby talk “Bees as Seeds”

762 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  msl 
#1 ·

Melanie Kirby from Zia Queen Bees, NM, a student of Brandon Hopkins at Washington State University, gives a wide ranging talk about, among other things:

-Lack of genetic diversity in New World bee genetics vs Old World populations, focusing on California breeders
-WSU importation of Old World bee semen, and re-creation of Old World bee lines
-USDA semen repository only wants samples from treatment free lines from around the world

#2 ·
Lack of genetic diversity in New World bee genetics vs Old World populations, focusing on California breeders
A common TF talking point, She didn't provide a source for her data but other studies don't support that view

"We sampled honey bee workers from two managed populations in North America and Europe as well as several old‐world progenitor populations in Africa, East and West Europe. Managed bees had highly introgressed genomes representing admixture between East and West European progenitor populations. We found that managed honey bees actually have higher levels of genetic diversity compared with their progenitors in East and West Europe, providing an unusual example whereby human management increases genetic diversity by promoting admixture. The relationship between genetic diversity and honey bee declines is tenuous given that managed bees have more genetic diversity than their progenitors and many viable domesticated animals" Harpur et al. 2012

I found it interesting that while trying to beat up the commercial bees for lack of diversity, she pushes local adaption witch (like feral bees and bonded stocks) would in fact be LESS diverse than the base stock it's derived from. She breeds her bees in isolation to avoid the diversity that is out there.

Don't get me wrong I am a big proponent of selection for local stocks, and bringing in improved genetics. If you can save years and years by standing on the shoulders of someone else's stock, you should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.