Painting Supers

Thread: Painting Supers

Default Painting Supers

This may be in the wrong section but here goes. Time this winter got away from me and I have not gotten my new deep supers painted. Packages arrive on Friday, at this time, I only have 1 deep per package with the second tier of deeps just shipped today. My options at this point are to paint on Thursday, due to working 12 hrs every day before that or go ahead and put them in the unpainted Deeps on Friday, assemble the new deeps and paint them, then transfer the Frames to the painted ones so I could then paint the first set.

Currently I am leaning towards the latter as I am not sure it is good to put the bees into a hive that was just painted less that 24 hrs before...

Or should I paint away Thursday?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Painting Supers

Put them in the unpainted boxes. You do not want any odd smells to cause the packages to abscond. There will always be time later to paint and rotate boxes once the bees are established, but au natural works too, for awhile at least.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Default Re: Painting Supers

Quote Originally Posted by FrankBarbee View Post
    This may be in the wrong section but here goes. Time this winter got away from me and I have not gotten my new deep supers painted. Packages arrive on Friday, at this time, I only have 1 deep per package with the second tier of deeps just shipped today. My options at this point are to paint on Thursday, due to working 12 hrs every day before that or go ahead and put them in the unpainted Deeps on Friday, assemble the new deeps and paint them, then transfer the Frames to the painted ones so I could then paint the first set.

Currently I am leaning towards the latter as I am not sure it is good to put the bees into a hive that was just painted less that 24 hrs before...

Or should I paint away Thursday?
    Hive the packages in what ever you have. When the new deep order comes in paint them let it dry then on inspection day swap to the painted one, then paint the original.
    GG