Bee-L member requesting Beekeepers donate their extra N95 Masks - DON'T DO IT!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bee-L member requesting Beekeepers donate their extra N95 Masks - DON'T DO IT!!!!

OK I'll just delete my post.

Stay safe out there - if you do have a lot of extra N95 masks (more than what is required for personal use), please do donate.

Commercial beekeepers are essential life sustaining members of society who need protection against the Wuhan coronavirus just like any other life-sustaining business.
    Last edited by username00101; 03-24-2020 at 11:04 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee-L member requesting Beekeepers donate their extra N95 Masks - DON'T DO IT!!!!

My daughter works at a level 1 trauma center, since Friday, she has been one of the nurses seen on the news testing people at the new ER drive thru, they are now very limited on PPE. I will give her any mask I have if it will help protect her and those trying to help the sick, I can use an old "T" shirt to do OA the few times a year I need too in a pinch.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

Default Re: Bee-L member requesting Beekeepers donate their extra N95 Masks - DON'T DO IT!!!!

I can tell you that right now hospital staff is desperate for any kind of PPE. One of my nurse co-workers is actually sewing cloth face masks at home for use at work!

My wife and daughter are nurses in a small hospital. The restrictions on use of protective gear is already so limited that they are literally putting their lives, and those of who they come in contact with, at risk already. The government is preparing them to make their own masks out of bandannas (which won't work). This is wrong.
    Thankfully, woodworkers, painters, construction workers, farmers and Joe DIY'ers are donating masks but it is a stopgap measure. Beekeepers can make due without their N95's. I find your post selfish and insulting. That one donated mask could save a life. It could be yours. J

Stay safe out there.
    Last edited by username00101; 03-24-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Do hospitals and the like accept them if the package is open?

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

My wife is at work at the hospital as I type this. Daughter is at home in quarantine.

If my bees end up untreated and die because I gave up masks to keep them healthy, it's a small price to pay.

As this disease starts to spread we start to see folks showing true colors. If you are going to horde your masks because you believe your bees are more important than health care workers on the front lines, that tells me all I need to know.

Besides, for doing OA treatments you should be using a full face respirator, not a mask. You are already using the wrong tool for the job...

Stay safe out there.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post

Many commercial beekeepers are over the age of 50, and at risk.

When 25% of the food is no longer on the shelves, we might wonder why we didn't prioritize our beekeepers safety. The Wuhan coronavirus is incredibly contagious, survives in the air for over 3 hours, and an N95 mask is absolutely required to both prevent infection AND keep us safe when applying OAV.

Stay safe out there, keep your bees alive - the world's food supply depends on us.
    I don't think beekeepers are even on the same page as health care workers on the list of heroes.
    Without Honey bees I don't think we will starve, although we may have to alter our diets.

Alex

In my opinion, We will absolutely be screwed if our experienced over the age of 50 commercial beekeepers start to succumb to the Wuhan Coronavirus.

In the long term, we need our commercial beekeepers to stay healthy, and keep their bees alive.

In my opinion, We will absolutely be screwed if our experienced over the age of 50 beekeepers start to succumb to the Wuhan Coronavirus.
    The large scale experienced over 50 beekeepers you are worried about dont use OAV. They use blue shop towels. OAV is the tool of choice for backyard and sideline beekeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    The large scale experienced over 50 beekeepers you are worried about dont use OAV. They use blue shop towels. OAV is the tool of choice for backyard and sideline beekeepers.
    They will need N95 masks for their own lives and protection. The Wuhan coronavrius is highly contagious and spreads in the air (droplet spread).

Italy is literally not even treating people over the age of 60!!! If that happens to our beekeepers, we will be in a world of pain !

How can you be so arrogant to state with such absolute certainty that painters and others are not being asked or have not already donated their excess supplies?

Alex

P.S. No, I am not as important as you obviously think you are. However, I am learning to embrace my inner Grumpy Old Man status.
    Thank you for making it easy.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    How can you be so arrogant to state with such absolute certainty that painters and others are not being asked or have not already donated their excess supplies?

Alex

P.S. No, I am not as important as you obviously think you are. However, I am learning to embrace my inner Grumpy Old Man status.
    Thank you for making it easy.

Alex
    It's a challenging situation, but we need our over the age of 50-60 beekeepers healthy, especially if they are commerical beekeepers. Our food supply depends on it.

I'm just a random poster online, but the lives of our commercial beekeepers are very, very important right now.

I'm sure the governments realize this as well.

And yes, N95 masks 100% work to protect us from OAV. IDK what planet ppl have been living on that N95 masks don't work for them, but it's clearly not Earth.
    So this is what the label on oxalic acid says:- http://honeycouncil.ca/archive/docum...004Nov2010.pdf
    =====
    Wear a full-face respirator or a half-face respirator and protective goggles, fitted with organic acid filter, chemically resistant gloves, long-sleeved shirt, pants, shoes, and socks whenever applying Oxalic Acid Dihydrate with a vaporizer
    =====

But hey, you've made it really clear than you know much more than the experts on many subjects so carry on spreading misinformation.....

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    I can tell you that right now hospital staff is desperate for any kind of PPE. One of my nurse co-workers is actually sewing cloth face masks at home for use at work!
    Ditto,
    My wife is medical director at a private prison. they house county,state and federal inmates. Their supplies of PPE are almost non existent in this shortage and ensuing frenzy. My sister-in-law is a small business seamstress, she has started making mask to give to her local clinic. My wife's Warden has now ordered 200 from her as commercial mask are rare right now.

With other options to treat Varroa, some as simple a OA dribble if OA is all you have, well....I'll give anything that a medical professional can use to stay safe as they work. Same with LE as that is my background.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

I live life dangerously I OAV without a mask (i'm careful however I don't recommend doing it that way). I also could give a crap less about this Wuhan flu bs. The reaction to the virus is worse than the virus. Idiots fighting each other over tp, people freaking out over to donate their OAV mask or not, it just gets tiring. Here's the simple answer do you know someone who could really benefit from your mask? Then why not donate it to them. Or you could wear it around everywhere like an idiot whatever floats your boats.

It's a challenging situation, but we need our over the age of 50-60 beekeepers healthy, especially if they are commerical beekeepers. Our food supply depends on it.

I'm just a random poster online, but the lives of our commercial beekeepers are very, very important right now.

I'm sure the governments realize this as well.
    You are making this statement without any knowledge about it. You do not know whether or not the commercials even use OAV. Before you make this statement perhaps you should post the question on ther commercial forum.

In my opinion, We will absolutely be screwed if our experienced over the age of 50 commercial beekeepers start to succumb to the Wuhan Coronavirus.

In the long term, we need our commercial beekeepers to stay healthy, and keep their bees alive.
    no commercial beek is using the N95 mask, go look at some of the videos, they are all using the correct mask.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    So this is what the label on oxalic acid says:- http://honeycouncil.ca/archive/docum...004Nov2010.pdf
    =====
    Wear a full-face respirator or a half-face respirator and protective goggles, fitted with organic acid filter, chemically resistant gloves, long-sleeved shirt, pants, shoes, and socks whenever applying Oxalic Acid Dihydrate with a vaporizer
    =====

But hey, you've made it really clear than you know much more than the experts on many subjects so carry on spreading misinformation.....
    sorry didn't read far enough, better post than mine
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast