Double nuc entrance locations? One on either side, or opposite entrances?

Default Double nuc entrance locations? One on either side, or opposite entrances?

Question about double nuc entrance locations:

For double nuc boxes, if the entrances are on the far left and far right of the box, will this create orientation issues?

Or is it better to just have an entrance on the back, and one on the front?

Does it really matter, as long as they are separated and not just one big opening?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Double nuc entrance locations? One on either side, or opposite entrances?

So, logically opposite entrances eliminate Queen orientation issues.

After several years though I have gone to same side - opposite corners and just put a design on one corner.
    I don't have issues, seems the bees are way smarter than we give them credit--so much for human logic.
    For me, I overwinter double nucs and this eliminated snow seep/moisture on hives that weren't level, I can slope them like regular hives.

Default Re: Double nuc entrance locations? One on either side, or opposite entrances?

N8 has valid concerns about drainage and leveling if you go opposite ends. I had my entrances very close together on the front and had no problem with the bees each keeping to their own sides of the duplex. You could extend a divider of thin ply etc., that would project out beyond the doorstep. The two colonies appeared to ignore each other.

I had no drought conditions and these bees are not inclined to rob like some are. If you expected those conditions it would be well to keep an eye on things.
    Frank

I started to make split bottom boards. I use Plumler tape to hold them on to the bottom deep box. That way I can have both worlds.