Cold Virus 'Cures'. What works for you?

Default Cold Virus 'Cures'. What works for you?

With the recent Corona virus craze, I thought I'd ask people here what they do to prevent colds and other viral infections, and whether you think your home remedies really work or just make you feel better because you are doing something.

Covid-19 is basically a cold virus, in most ways not much different from all the other corona-viruses that cause 30% of the common colds. So if something works to stop a cold, it might help with this too.

What I do: Take a really hot bath, while drinking hot drinks. The idea is to cause a fever (pseudo-fever) which helps the body fight infection, while avoiding the nasty side effects of a fever like muscle aches. Stay in the bath long enough to break a heavy sweat, then hop out, dry off and immediately go to bed under heavy blankets. Stay really warm and sleep as long as you can. I wish I had a sauna at at home. Used to use a sauna for this.
    Effective? I think so. It seems to nip colds right in the bud.

Next, sip hot tea. I usually add fresh ginger, sometimes cloves or other spices, and sometimes honey.
    Effective? Maybe. At least it seems to help symptoms like sore throat.

Next, a few times in my life, when much younger and dumber, I went drinking when I had a bad cold, got seriously drunk on hard liquor, rum or tequila, and woke up the next morning with no cold. Not advising this method! But I wonder if anyone else has had this experience. Of note, this did NOT seem to work with beer. Historically, a lot of OTC cold remedies had a lot of alcohol in them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cold Virus 'Cures'. What works for you?

The only thing that works for me is time. Honey, lemon with a shot of whisky makes me feel better until the cold is gone.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

First thing in the morning, gargle with warm water with salt. Have a cup of hot coffee or warm milk for breakfast and in between honey and lemon.

Daily glass of water with 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of propolis-alchohol tincture mixed in.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Really the best thing is what you do BEFORE you get a cold.

Sleep is the #1 thing your body needs and the 1 thing that everyone misses out on. Get in the habit of going to bed early, do you Really need to watch that tv show? Sure it is funny but I would rather get sleep. I am usually in bed by 9:30 and up just before 6.
    If you are run down then your body is run down and will catch a cold faster/easier and take much longer to bounce back.

#2, eat WELL, not a lot but WELL. Stop eating the junk food. Best seller in the USA is junk food, it ruins your body just cut a good portion out.
    #3 Drink enough Fluid. Most people are under hydrated always. Took me a long time to get used to drinking water from a water bottle- I put in a leaf of fresh Mint.

When I do get a cold, isn't often, it all depends on what I have. I TRY to use No Meds except for something to help me sleep.
    DRINK more then just water, some kind of Electrolyte- Which is basically just a water with some salt and sugar in it and flavor to help you drink. Gatorade but cut it in HALF with Water. Too much electrolytes will start to pull water out of you instead of helping to put it IN to you.
    Sinus? Drink HOT to help drain it
    Chest, Hot showers to help with the congestion - This helps with Sinus too.
    Cough, I HATE dry cough and will drink a TON to get it to the Wet stage.
    Light Fever, leave it alone. That is what your body is doing on purpose to kill off what ever you have. Over 101, Tylenol and Cool showers/bath. Over 102, start putting ICE on your neck and wrists to help cool you off- elsewhere if you can too. TAKE OFF THE BLANKETS ~!!
    If your body isn't run down too bad it will just run it's course, so let it. Usually it isn't too bad so long as you have no other underlying health issues.
    10 years working in an ER and I NEVER had the FLU and NEVER took the Vaccine
    -Linda

the Pseudo fever can also be accomplished VIA a Sauna. Some Finish friends of mine have one and they are rarely sick.
    I also eat Propolis, now daily.
    And use Colloidal Silver.

When all of the above fails to work , Jack Daniels, still working on the dose........

GG

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Daily glass of water with 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of propolis-alchohol tincture mixed in.
    So I see several votes above for propolis, and more for something with alcohol. Interesting.

Is the propolis prophylactic, or does it help with an acute cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger19687 View Post
    Really the best thing is what you do BEFORE you get a cold.

10 years working in an ER and I NEVER had the FLU and NEVER took the Vaccine
    Well, I also work in a hospital, critical care, and I am way more healthy since starting this job than during my prior cubical farm job. Have not had a flu anyway in ages, and since starting nursing have not had a cold that went farther than minor symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    So I see several votes above for propolis, and more for something with alcohol. Interesting.

" I have read" Propolis is anti bacterial, anti fungal, and anti viral, How much you need and how often is somewhat Esoteric. Some places would have better propolis, some porer, sometime you have fresh product and sometime older stuff. So in a tincture of Alcohol it dissolves into a brown Lovely liquid.
    Hypothetically the active components would not then Oxidize and would be more spread out. As I understand it would be classified as an Anadaptagin/ Immune system booster. It is comprised of Bee spit and tree/plant sap, So I guess the bees pick what they think they need. Haul it back and paste it into the hive.
    Unlikely we ever see testing as they is not any patentable parts in tree sap.

GG

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post

Propolis is a general immune system booster (with some cases pretty well studied, some cancers, etc).
    There are many printings on Google, check it out.

So, generally strong immune system is good to have just about now.

70% alcohol is said to be the best solvent for propolis (both water-solvable and alcohol-soluble parts are optimally extracted).
    This is the last batch configuration that I made.
    Can be stored for years as-is for immediate usage (external usage too, a bonus).

Aside from mixing with water and drinking this, here is another great way to administer:
    - take a table spoon-full of honey;
    - drop your desired dosage of the tincture onto the honey;
    - eat right up and enjoy.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    " I have read" Propolis is anti bacterial, anti fungal, and anti viral, How much you need and how often is somewhat Esoteric. Some places would have better propolis, some porer, sometime you have fresh product and sometime older stuff. So in a tincture of Alcohol it dissolves into a brown Lovely liquid.
    Hypothetically the active components would not then Oxidize and would be more spread out. As I understand it would be classified as an Anadaptagin/ Immune system booster. It is comprised of Bee spit and tree/plant sap, So I guess the bees pick what they think they need. Haul it back and paste it into the hive.
    Unlikely we ever see testing as they is not any patentable parts in tree sap.

GG
    Dad was from the generation that often made their own household medicines. I remember him making balm of gilead cough syrup that I never developed much liking for but it sure led to me not complaining too much about the cold as that led to more of his medicine. In any case when I started keeping bees I was amazed at the familiar smell of their propolis. In my location the bees main ingredient is the bud sap of our black poplar; I always knew it as balmagilead. Your local it may be cottonwood. No doubt about its antimicrobial properties; the tincture they paint on your hide before the doctor puts on a cast smells like it was right from the tree! I suspect that bee propolis takes advantage of those properties.

Here is a good link to the science of it as well as the old folks tales https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/sustaining.../balmofgilead/
    Frank

At the first sign of a cold I start taking zinc (Coldeeze). It actually shortens the duration and severity.
    Although....the last cold I got was five years ago.....
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

That is why most doctors who are treating Covid 19 recommends to take Vitamin C and Zinc as prevention and to boost the immune system.

Honey is a very good source of medicine. It is very natural that would make one's body healthy. I do take propolis.

Time never fails me but I'll say honey works for me if taken long enough.

One "obvious" thing - stay physically active and get outside every day.
    Due to the COVID, I am less active and this is bad.
    Going for an intense walk (1-2 hours) or good run (5-6K) will actually boost your immune system too.
    While sweaty already, so some weights and the like.

PS: of course, these are a prevention; if you are ALREADY sick - then rest.

Clove oil frequently during the day. A drop or less on the gums. Swallow. This will also help with sore throat. It is know to be anti-viral and antiseptic.
    Up zinc intake. To my understanding zinc has a hard time passing the cellular wall, but when it does it shuts down virus replication.
    Sleep more.
    Rarely have a cold for more than a day.